Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    prostreet enthusiast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

oil pressure lose or to much crankcase pressure

i am very near to havin a breakdown my engine is causin me a lot of problems & all i did originally is change the cam.
    first the inlet didnt seal & it had an air leak so took the manifold of & reseal inlet it then sucked oil up into the manifold & down the exhaust what didnt help was i had timed it up 90degres out so it turfed out quite a bit of oil in the middle lane of the m25 so took it home stripped engine out did complete
    rebiuld as in new big ends new main ends new rings new valves new valve seals & yet again another new set of inlet gaskets got it running the rear maniflod seal stared leaking so stripped it off & fitted new seals with glue this time worked went out had low oil pressure so moved oil switch from under the dash to engine got good pressure to start with then dropped off went out
    sunday blew oil out of did stick tube changed back to old dipstick no leak now when i start up i have a good pressure for about 5 mins the bang back to low pressure this time its flowing out of the rear seal just dont know what to do next the only thing i didnt do when we rebuilt was trim the rear seal could this be the problem.i just dont know

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oil pressure relief valve blowing off ? Too thick oil ,usually from adding Wynns etc would do this as well. Blocked PCV valve causing crankcase pressurisation?

Where is the oil sender ? Is it after the end of the cam galleries ? Worn cam bearings can lead to low oil pressure reading while thereis actually good pressure at the bottom end (often a Chevy problem )?

Yank V8s not my forte so just a few general thoughts

prostreet enthusiast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi kapri
    checked pcv or the rattly valves in the breathers all seem ok no wear on the cam bearings the pressure switch is just above the oil filter (b/b chevy)
    but the to thick oil sounds intresting i have put in what i always have would you belive gp50 but now that you have mentioned it should i be using something like 20/50 or 14/50 diesel oil for running in.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    GP50? that must be like treacle I would have thought that was your problem.

prostreet enthusiast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi
    just tryed it with 14/40 diesel oil the oil isnt throwing out every where now just dripping so think i might have done rear seal. so when i have cooled down & walked away from the hammer i will take the engine out & replace the seal .
    but thanks for your advice it definitly seems to be the treacle like oil i had used just didnt think before i used it.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did the oil pressure improve as well Chris ?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't be so sure, thicker oil normally shows higher oil pressure I thought. 20/50's right for most cast iron V8's, some run thinner modern oils but they're old clunkers with fairly big bearing clearances compared to modern ****.

Did you have the block honed when you rebuilt it ? did you measure the main and big end bearing running clearance, correct bearings for motor ? who installed the cam bearings, again whats your running clearance ? ring end gaps ?

Have you run it without the breathers connected to anything ? sounds like two issues to me, I'd say oil pressure is bearing related, and potentially you've got some crankcase pressure, manifold and dipstick aren't pressurised like the oil galleries.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thta's what I used to think Phil, but I've had oil pump pressure relief valves blow off with 20/50 with Wynns added ( 4 pot Ford),so oil light stayed on ( end of gallery straight of pump) had me foxed for ages.
    Last edited by kapri; 11-08-2009 at 20:02.

prostreet enthusiast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Did the oil pressure improve as well Chris ?
    Quote Originally Posted by WB54 View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure, thicker oil normally shows higher oil pressure I thought. 20/50's right for most cast iron V8's, some run thinner modern oils but they're old clunkers with fairly big bearing clearances compared to modern ****.

Did you have the block honed when you rebuilt it ? did you measure the main and big end bearing running clearance, correct bearings for motor ? who installed the cam bearings, again whats your running clearance ? ring end gaps ?

Have you run it without the breathers connected to anything ? sounds like two issues to me, I'd say oil pressure is bearing related, and potentially you've got some crankcase pressure, manifold and dipstick aren't pressurised like the oil galleries.

hi
    in answer to the questions the thinner oil did seem to work as it did not throw the oil everywhere out of the seal it is only dripping . so coing to remove engine & replace seal.

didnt check bearing as when we removed the old ones they where still grey & not worn down to copper but i did measure the rings & have a 15thou gap.
    i have had a friend pop round last night (jonh tudor ) who run the lime green supercharged prostreet camero who had a quick look over it the pressure dropping problem would seem to come from the fact that the rad is blocked temp rose to 172 within 10 mins of starting & the fans were drawing cold air not warm. after switching off the fans ran on for about 5 mins then switched off then restarted a couple of mins later with 1 drawing warm air & 1 drawing cold.
    so now need to find some where that can unblock an ali rad.
    but i will get there in the end . if im at the nats you'lle now it has worked
    thanks everybody for there input it has been very helpful.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    hope to see you there !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information