Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

PA Cresta running 'problems'

Hello all. Just wondering if any PA Cresta (or similar) owners have had this problem. When I put my foot on the accelerator to set off; the car hesitates for a second before moving (almost 'coughs' for want of a better expression). Also, when i'm going along and I put my foot down, it does the same. It's hard to explain in writing but it sort of almost cut's out for a split second before doing what it should. I think it may be fuel related because, while the automatic choke is on, all is fine, it's when it's off it starts this problem. Also, on the 'over run' it kind of burbles/judders etc and, from memory of my last 6 cylinder engined car (20+ years ago) it shouldn't, I don't think. Any ideas would be gratefully accepted.
    2.6 Straight 6 engine. Manual.
    Last edited by RockabillyBilly; 29-06-2015 at 06:51.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Usual suspect there is the accelerator pump/ jet. Filter off, engine off, peer down carb and pull on accelerator and you should see a jet of fuel squirt into carb, no jet and there's your problem.

Burble / judder , standard exhaust system ? Change of silencers can make this happen .

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Kapri. I checked that; good steady spurt there. Standard exhaust. When I put 'burble' that almost makes it sound like a good thing. Haha. Another description would be; it almost feels (on the over run) likes it's '2 stroking'. Another description but, reading it back..not necessarily a better one. Thanks for the input so far. Much appreciated.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie Low Expectations's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Billy. Got yourself another Cresta then? Put some pics up.
    As for your problems, i'd start with the basics. Check timing & points (put a new set in along with condenser plugs & leads, air filter). Also i'd see if its pulling in air (spray some easy start around the carb & inlet manifold while its running & see if the revs rise). Then take the carb off & give it good clean. If its still got the problem then it is probably ****ed.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Billy, Check inlet manifold for air leaks as some had metal gaskets,use blue hylomar, also check that the hot spot plate in the exhaust manifold is not stuck in the open position allowing heat to rise as this will evaporate fuel when engine hot (I weld them in the shut position to the shaft which is always siezed solid then pack the void/chamber betwwen the manifolds with fibre glass insulation mixed with exhaust paste.
    Some models also hade a breather valve on the inlet manifold (pipe from valve cover goes to it ) make sure its not stuck open or better still removeit and blank it off.
    They are a great engine and so smooth /quiet when running properly
    If there is anything you need to know or I can help with you can pm me

Cheers

Dave

Official RnS Addict streetfighter's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    do you mean it keeps running (although roughly) after you've switched it off?
    Its no good in the garage, Drive it!

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all; Danny. Yep, got another one but not quite in the mood to post pictures just yet. Haha. I'll do what you suggest. Regarding your last statement; it's me (at the moment) that's f****d!
    dave 62 pb: Good point, I'll check it/them out if I'm fit enough, later. Thanks also for your offer. I may be taking you up on that.
    streetfighter; No, it doesn't do that. (You mean like a kind of 'pre-igniting' thing I think) No, apart from the 'hesitating' and rough running issue, all is fine. Well, it isn't but you know what I mean.
    Cozmic; Thanks for the advice on the 'phone.
    Thanks again all for the input so far.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information