Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie Hole Shot Pop's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint Question-Chassis & Running Gear

A friend of mine has recommended that when I come to paint the running gear on my pop for a nice finish I should use "chassis black" with a small amount of hardener in it so it doesn't take an age for it to dry. He said that instead of undersealing the car I could paint it with that too.
    My question is, as a painting novice, but with access to the equipment, what would you guys say to this? What would you recommend prep/primer-wise?
    He also mentioned using this paint on an engine, but my thoughts were how does this paint deal with heat? Any thoughts on this?

All advice gratefully received!
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    mark you can borrow my equipment if dont wanna drag your compressor and gun out

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh that's ideal Matt, thanks very much. Have you got any smaller rollers for those hard to reach areas? haha. Got the week off work next week so may get some paint on the ol' girl.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    dont be so silly boy - you cant really do it with a roller - you will need somethin like this

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi iam a painter and done many chassis e.t.c. Depends on a lot of things realy 1. have the bits been blasted, if so you need to use a etch primer first if you want a flater finish on the cast bits you can primer them with 3 coats of high build primer the last coat i thin down with thinners to get a smoother finish ,just watch it doesnt start running off .If it does run it can be flatted with 800 wet n dry. 2 if they have just been cleaned up with wire brush or something and the car is gonna see rainy days wot i use is black hammerite smooth mixed 2 parts paint to 1 part standard thinners works a treat and dries fast. Try to use a primer gun to apply the hammerite they have a bigger needle the finish looks great but not mega glossy the thinners just dulls it of a little bit. The engine again needs a very good clean , i use acid etch primer first on the block just a thin coat , then just paint it with 2k high solid with hardener 2:1 ratio in what ever colour you wish done a few chevy 350 v8s like this now and never had a problem with the paint lifting and my 350 runs at about 80 on the temp guage and crept upto 90 in summer in traffic. 2k paint can withstand high temps if you imagine a black car in australia on in the nevada dessert oh it gets hot and the paint doesnt lift on them, hope this helps

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks very much for your help. I painted my minx steels a while back in the same way you described with the thinned smoothrite. I was a bit concerned afterwards that it would be durable enough. I have sometimes found smoothrite to be easily chipped so didn't know if it would be ok on my running gear that would be out in the rain. It seems that it will be-cool! Again, thanks very much.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information