Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie Hole Shot Pop's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

SmilePinto DCOE setup help please

As usual my ideas for the pop are snowballing..... so I'm after some input on the carb setup that I could use please. I picked up a fresh 2l pinto a while back, rebuilt up so far as the head-It has been rebored and has a new bottom end. The rebuild wasn't finished, so the head was a blank canvas. Originally I planned to keep it simple and run the engine pretty much as a stock 2l partly because I had a standard cam as part of the deal, and liked the idea of running a single DCOE45 carb, and have a manifold to suit. I have all of the carb settings to make that setup work here in a Weber book. Here's where it starts to snowball... :-) I have been thinking of trying to get a bit more out the engine by putting a livelier cam in it and maybe skimming the head (an injection model head) but once I move away from standard settings Im a bit lost in terms of working out the sidedraught carb setup. Is there a way of working out the settings roughly to begin with? I realise that there will be quite a bit of tweaking to get it running perfectly, but I need a place to start from and thought I'd pick you clever peoples brains :-)
    I have a DCOE48 in my garage, and wondered if that could work? Also, are the parts in a 45 interchangeable with a 48?

Thanks in advance!
    Mark
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shouldn't take too much to tweak the carb to suit the additional power. In fact there is a range of main jet size for each venturi and the size will be governed by the amount of additional air the engine can swallow after mods.

If you have a baseline 45 DCOE which had correct venturis and jetted for SINGLE useage you will probably only need a couple of additional main jet sizes to make it work correctly. However if you've one of a pair of 45DCOEs then you will need to get a fresh baseline it's use as the jetting will not be anywhere near.

The 48 will give no more power and will in fact lose pick up if you put in too large venturis .

In all honesty the stock 32 /36 DGAV is good for a streetable 130- 140bhp though a single DCOE or 38DGAS will help pick up and driveablity they onlyproduce little additional power.

What is your current settings ?
    Last edited by kapri; 28-09-2009 at 11:55.

Semi Proffessional Prat sidspop's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    I would recommend the book by Vizard on the pinto engine. Very interesting reading. One of the things he says about the pinto head is to do with airflow down the inlets. It is restrictive as standard due to the shape, and rather than the usual grinding out, he recommends adding bits in to make a smoother flow.
    Can't help on your jets I'm afraid. I would agree with Kev on the 32 36. Unless you have a wilder cam, 48 is overkill.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your replies guys, sorry for the late reply-no internet @ the weekend. Kev, I will look in my Weber book and get back to you later today. I want to run the single DCOE just because I prefer it visually over a down draught setup. I was worried about it running lean with the mods and a single DCOE but didn't want to get into twin carbs territory.
    sidspop, thanks, I'll try and track down a copy of that book.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I belive better results re skiming to up compresion are to be had via skimming the block,
    this is due to the proximity of the spark plug to head face, if you got the head off wind a plug in the hole an put a straight edge cross the chamber an see what I mean. Skimming the head ends up with the electrode very close to th piston at tdc.
    And some of the head tech in Vizards book is irelevent if using the injection head, as the injection head has a lot better port/valve throat shape, with more metal at he port floor giving a nice curve into the throat, unlike the earlyer head.
    Martin.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was looking the other day at a head that I have in the garage. It still has some plugs in it and I did think to myself "make sure you don't take too much off the head because that's going to be close the piston". If you skim the block what sort of amount can you take off?
    Thanks,
    Mark

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    30 thou off the block would go from standard cr 9.2:1 up to 9.9:1. But you could go from standard 9.2:1 up to 9.7:1 just by using the Felpro blue head gasket as its 25 thou thiner than the stock head gasket. If you combine both you get 10.5:1. Important in the stock engine the pistons are bout 20 thou lower than the block face so skimming the block 30 thou will pop the piston into the head gasket area and the minimum clearance between the piston and head should be 35 thou (so measure first!) and a rev limit of 7500 rpm.
    Another book on your shoping list The Ford SOHC `Pinto' and Sierrs Cosworth DOHC Engines High-Performance Manual. by Des Hammill. Speed Pro Series.
    A good book with lots of info, stuff like using Fester dervish rods and v6 pistons and things. And a tad more upto date than Vizzards book. No dissrespect to the Viz but his book was written in the infancy of the Pinto.
    Get both books and use um together.
    Martin.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Martin, great information. I did a search for the Vizard book and did see the one that you mentioned. I'd better get reading! Thanks mate

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in