Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Pinto engine running help

My car that I have just bought has a sierra 2 litre pinto which has a massive flat spot when you first put your foot down, if you stamp it down it will just die and stall.
    I have checked the plugs and they do look a little lean on the ends but oily on the rest of it, leads, rotor arm, points and dizzy cap all seem good ( haven't checked the gap in the points though as I'm not sure what it should be ). Haven't checked timing as I'm not 100% sure how to do it to be honest, I have a strobe but don't know what im doing.
    Just stripped and cleaned all the jets I could find in the carb and two on the outside and it still does it.
    I checked to see where the mixture screw is set, and it was about one full turn from fully closed.
    I'm at a loss for what to do, my guess is that because of the mixture that the carb needs a bigger idle jet. But not sure to be honest.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Adam.
    Morris Oxford chopped pickup

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Banned
    BRITAINS FASTEST STREET LEGAL VAN HEAD QUARTERS
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Which carb is it?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Standard twin choke weber

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rust buster...
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The standard DGAV carb has a diaphragm type accelerator pump. Most likely its not working either because the jets are blocked or because the diaphragm is broken. Easy fix.

Pop the cover off and have a look, its part number 29 in the image below. The diaphragm is #31. The lever should move as you open the throttle

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/v/vsp...6DGEV_DGAV.gif

For timing it should be about 8deg BTDC at idle. Disconnect and plug the vac advance line to the dizzy before checking it.
    Last edited by flak monkey; 06-03-2012 at 18:19.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also operate the pump with the top of the carb off ,you should see a disturbance in the fuel as diaphragm draws the fuel in. It is only a small drilling and if the carb has been left dry it can 'fur' up.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for that, That cover is about the only thing I didn't take off and check. Regarding the timing I'm not 100% sure how to do it. I know I need to connect it to lead number 1 and then do I just point it at the bottom pulley and see what shows up. So I need to disconnect the pipe connected to the dizzy at present?
    Also what should the gap on the points be?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Carburettor would be my first port of call but it does sound very similar to the problem I had on my zodiac and that turned out to be distributor timing (to far retarded)

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The other favourite problem for flatspots on Pintos is problems with the PCV valve making the mixture too weak, happens on high mileage engines. Remove the pipe from the PCV to inlet manifold and block the end attached to the inlet and try .

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    As regards the timing the induction lead goes to no1 plug ,timing light power leads go to the battery, take off the vacuum advance pipe off the distributor and block the end of the pipe leaving it connected to the carb. Ensure the engine is properly warmed up, set your mixture and idle speed, point the timing gun at the bottom pulley and read off the timing. As far as I can remember the pinto has various timing marks opposite the pulley so refer to the manual for your timing, this works well as long as the distributor is meshed correctly (mine wasn't so I couldn't dial in the timing on its marks ) I actually prefer to set my timing using a vacuum gauge. To set it with a gauge connect the vacuum gauge to a non ported inlet manifold fitting (I use the servo take off) then with the engine warmed up and set as before (mixture and advance pipe blocked) turn the distributor SLOWLY in either direction and see if the vacuum increases or decreases, turn the distributor to the steady maximum vacuum reading then back it off about a 1/4" lock up the distributor adjusting bolt disconnect the vacuum gauge reconnect any pipes you removed and test drive the car if it pinks at all back off the distributor another 1/4" till it stops pinking. Obviously setting this way does away with needing the timing light, if you check the timing with a light after setting it with a gauge you will probably find it is more advanced than your manual says but you should find it runs better and stronger and as long as it isn't pinking you won't do the engine any harm.
    I hope that makes sense give me a shout if any of it dosen't

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the info guys, I will be giving it all a go today and let you know how it goes.
    The only problem with setting it up to do the timing is im not 100% sure the mixture is correct anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information