Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Take the air cleaner off, look down the carb throat, when you operate the throttle likage do you see a thin squirt of petrol in to the carb throat? Do this with the engine NOT running. There should be a nice positive squirt of petrol. If not the accelerator pump is sus, the pic looks ok but, is is nice and plyable? Cant really tell from the pic but it looks old ( but as I said cant realy tell) if this is ok, you need to clean the accel pump holes, normaly the little V shaped bit under the big screw in the carb throat. This should have one or two tiney little holes, one on each leg. (some have 2 some have 1, DGAV's seem to bo ok with either) Normaly blocked after sitting a while. But could be a blockadge eneywhere along the the curcuit from the diapham to the V jet and from the float bowl. The jet with the neadle sticking out in the bottom of the float bowl, is the power valve jet (econamizer) NOT the main jet. This is operated by the power valve diaphram in the lid of the carb (its the 3 screw chap with a spring on it poking down from the lid) These very often go hard, and dont work, this can also cause a flat spot if its buggered. Does your carb have the LOVE valve? looks same as accel pump cover but on the other end of the float bowl? When listening to your vid, the flat spot does sound like a lean spot, this normaly points to weak (lean mixture) at this point, this should be corected by the accel pump, power valve and some times the LOVE valve, and could be due to any of these playing up or an air leak. Another thing to check is the idle air bleed, these can get blocked easy too. Look at a parts diagram.
    Martin.
    Last edited by scooder; 08-03-2012 at 10:23.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right done the test you mentioned and there us no fuel coming out of the little v thing, mine has one hole. I have taken that out and blown through it but it was clear anyway as I did this last time. I have noticed that the big jet that holds the v thing in place looks blocked. But whatever it is seems massive, is there supposed to be something in there that goes up and down, or is this dirt? There was no fuel coming through the hole even with it out though.
    Morris Oxford chopped pickup

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and mine doesn't have the love valve you mentioned

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rust buster...
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If there's no fuel coming out the accelerator pump/jet passage is blocked. Time to take the carb off and give it a proper clean out.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right I think I've found the problem, I have noticed fuel coming out above the two holes in the float bowl. So I guess there must be a hairline crack somewhere. Would this cause the accelerator pump to not pump fuel correctly?
    Looks like I need another carb. Anyone got one spare?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what holes your talking about, but petrol getting higher up the carb than it should is normaly a dicky float or float needle. Has it got a brass float? if so it could be puntured, if its got a placky float it should be ok, Check the float needle for any **** on it or in the hole it fits, also check the fuel inlet is clear and that the brass needle valve assembly ( the brass chap the float needle came out of) is tight in the float cover, check the float hight, I'll see if I can sort a pic of this measurement. When you pulled the V jet, you say it looked bloked? was it? Was it wet with petrol? it should have been. If it was dry and fluffy and white, the carb needs tacking off and striping and cleaning properly. Get the book "Weber carburetors" by Pat Braden Amazon do it, its got a good bit on the dgav re striping and cleaning.
    Martin.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heres the float hights, if you need to change them ONLY bend the tabs adjacent to the float hinge. Measurements ar taken with the carb top held at shown angle, with the float tab just in contact with the little ball in the needle valve, Ie not pushing the ball against the (light) spring pressure and into the float needle. This is for high float hight Solid out line in pic, float drop is dotted line, and not in contact with the needle, but the back tab is agianst the hinge area of the carb top.
    Martin.
    Last edited by scooder; 09-03-2012 at 00:24.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The two holes are the little ones in the bottom left of the float bowl if looking at it standing from the front of the car, where the accelerator pump is.
    I don't mean the float assembly. I mean that with the top completely off the carb, so your looking in the float bowl. With the bowl half full of fuel and when you pump the lever you can see petrol seeping out of the actual wall of the float bowl.
    Last edited by Jumpinjacks; 09-03-2012 at 00:30.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It could just be very lean on throttle progression, if it wasn't rejetted when the standard air filter was taken off that very often gives a big flat spot when wide open throttle is used from low revs. worth a look?

John
    My Pop Build thread https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/gar...op-build-32191
    My 55 Chevy Resto https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/tri...ed-today-67186
    Anyone can drive a fast car, not everyone can drive a car fast!!!!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    My mate has the exact same carb but for a 1600, so i'm gonna try and use that but with my jets.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information