Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Problem: clutch not returning

Ever since fitting a T5 gearbox and heavy duty clutch to my Rover V8 it hasnt felt right.
    Messed about shortening the pushrod, then lengthening it again(!)
    Finally I think the problem is because it doesnt always return properly. Sometimes the clutch pedal (which has a spring) has come fully up, yet the clutch is still on. When this happens, you can usually get it to move by pressing clutch pedal up and down.
    The slave cylinder I'm using is the one which came with the box, I'm thinking this is the most likely cause.

Just thought I'd ask for your thoughts before I go and spend more money I haven't got!

Thank you

Ian
    "The one who watches the wind will not sow seed, and the one who looks at the clouds will not reap" - Eccl 11:4

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    make sure the ( 'up' ) pedal is letting the master cylinder fully out,so it releases the fluid back to the reservoir....
    if not it can keep the slave cylinder from releasing its fluid
    sticky mastr cylinder seals or fit a stronger pedal spring...
    neil

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    A Question.
    If you were to put a stop on the clutch pedal to prevent it going all the way to the floor, would the clutch still clear and allow selection of gears?

I ask because you may be getting too much movement at the diaphragm and it could be just going over centre thus not springing back every time.

I expect the slave cylinder bore is 7/8" dia. It could be your pedal ratio is giving too much movement of the slave piston.

Or the release bearing is jamming on the support sleeve on full release. I have known of sleeves that are too short and don't support the bearing fully at the end of travel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neil still building it View Post
    make sure the ( 'up' ) pedal is letting the master cylinder fully out,so it releases the fluid back to the reservoir....
    if not it can keep the slave cylinder from releasing its fluid
    sticky mastr cylinder seals or fit a stronger pedal spring...
    neil
    Thanks Neil, the master cylinder worked fine with previous gearbox, pedal springs up ok
    "The one who watches the wind will not sow seed, and the one who looks at the clouds will not reap" - Eccl 11:4

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DEVONMAN View Post
    A Question.
    If you were to put a stop on the clutch pedal to prevent it going all the way to the floor, would the clutch still clear and allow selection of gears?

I ask because you may be getting too much movement at the diaphragm and it could be just going over centre thus not springing back every time.

I expect the slave cylinder bore is 7/8" dia. It could be your pedal ratio is giving too much movement of the slave piston.

Or the release bearing is jamming on the support sleeve on full release. I have known of sleeves that are too short and don't support the bearing fully at the end of travel.
    Thanks Devonman, I had been thinking along the same lines. So I installed a bit of wood under the carpet to stop the pedal going down so far. Problem is still there, same as before, sometimes not too bad, sometimes wonder if I will manage to drive home!

Pedal felt ok this morning so I went for a drive, but then later it felt reluctant to return smoothly again. I also noticed that once I got home and turned engine off, pedal seemed to go up and down nicely. I think I will get a new master cylinder tomorrow and see if that cures it. If not, then I guess it must be the release bearing jamming as you suggest.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    what size master cyl bore is fitted on the orig t5 installation? for piston rod, make it adjustable ie weld a thread into rod and nut to fork. was clutch new? seized diaphragm perhaps?

some daft checks like measuring how far clutch arm moves or calculation of how much fluid is moving for a full pedal press and how much is theoretically needed to release clutch.

could be a bit like a lot of the brake threads working out what size of master cyl is needed for an application........ perhaps....... maybe?????

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    does the bearing slide along the shaft nicely
    I've had these where the tube around the input shaft is worn and the bearing catches

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the pedal is better with the engine stopped then it could be the release bearing has serious drag (Due to the heavier clutch) and is trying to force the carrier round and jamming the slippers .
    (All assuming you have the standard lt77/SD1/TVR type release arm).

The jamming does seem to be related to the release bearing and carrier and sleeve, but, it would be worth checking the slave cylinder, just to make sure it has no burrs in the bore near the open end.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got this sorted today.
    One of those square slider things fell off when I took the box out, witness marks on the carrier show it only had one in properly.
    Also the carrier had rust inside, cleaned and greased up, clutch is fine now.

Many thanks to you all for your comments and help.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information