Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Centre console was looking a bit sad. The holes were for the power window switches (now manual). The shifter position has also changed so the console required modding and recovering.

Also put a Hitachi mini starter on the Stude which fires her up a treat!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jet washed the Stude. Dad finished dyeing the carpet. Got her fired up, (will tune once we get the interior in and I can take her out). Also fitted the pass side mirror

I'm in Outlaw Street (OS-39), first race is Pod this weekend. Looking forward to it!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well didn't make it to Outlaw Street round 1 which is annoying, the starter is catching in drive. We had the car running in park all the time we were sitting the engine up and it wasn't and it wasn't until last night when I pulled out of the drive when I could hear the starter dog catching the flex plate whilst running:****er: An easy over sight albeit annoying as we'd spent so much time putting the car back together and cleaning her up.
    Anyhow we know our problem all along was the previous starter so that's the best outcome. We'll put the starter back on the Camaro where it came from and order the same Hitachi starter for the Stude which will come with shims to shim it forward, away from the flex plate.

The bonnet, boot and doors came from a '51 business coupe that we imported from Texas, I didn't get round to putting this sticker in the business coupe so it seems fitting it should go in the blue Stude as it's sporting half the panels from the old car

Carpet and centre console back in, we also made a panel to cover the heater/fusebox wiring (pics to follow)

We got the sticker residue off the doors with Adhesive remover from homebase (i'm sure it's just a weaker paint thinners), does the job and didn't take any paint off which the thinners did. We also put some new race numbers on.

We also T-cut the car and polished the wheels

Plans for the car -

Strip bonnet and boot and repaint in blue (leave doors in red)
    Re-chrome headlamp surrounds, bonnet emblem and scripts
    New cam
    Modify exhaust and trans crossmember with 5" thru crossmember tubes
    Rewire MSD 6A
    Last edited by Stude Star; 13-05-2017 at 11:31.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    look for sumtin called a caramel disk , its a special rubber wheel that ataches to a drill and it makes quick work of removing the sticker material without marring the paint
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAfdXws7Lt0

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
    look for sumtin called a caramel disk , its a special rubber wheel that ataches to a drill and it makes quick work of removing the sticker material without marring the paint
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAfdXws7Lt0
    Looks like a good product. I have a stubborn bit on the drivers side that will require something more hardcore so that might fit the bill?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just got back from Outlaw Street round 2 at Shaky

Great weekend, everyone is so friendly and helpful. We made lots of new friends

The Stude had been running great but just before we were about to leave on Friday she started hunting at idle and trying to stall....Having put so much time into the car I was determined to get her to the track as that's a great opportunity to try to fix the car.

I pulled number 2 HT lead and it ran just as bad, I figured i'd change that plug, low and behold she ran great, rather odd but hey she works. She drove the 145 miles perfectly then started hunting again just as we got to the track at midnight.

Shaky wouldn't let me race as the car has no seat belts, stupid oversight from me! One of the Shaky crew let me raid their Peugeot for the rear seat belts, bolted those in the Stude and we all set!

I pulled all the plugs in the morning, swapped in a new set and retimed the car, much better, she was a tad too advanced.
    I got to the front of the strip only for it to start hunting again....I was so distracted by this that I red lighted, although the car flew up the track like a boss, bit of opposite lock in 2nd to keep her straight as the shift kit hits 2nd really hard and spins the wheels. No time though as I red lighted.

Next run I missed 3rd for a 15 sec pass, next run she bogged in 3rd for 14.6, next run was good although felt like it was running out of fuel at the top end for 13.8.
    We decided to let her cool right down, this got us a 13.49. Exactly half a second quicker than last time.
    There's clearly a heat issue with the fuel lines

The last run was great, the car performed perfectly, if I can get off the line smoother it's run low 13, maybe 13 dead, the last 60ft time was 2.05 seconds.needs to be 1.8-1.9

The battery went flat after the last run, a bit odd but i just put it down to the strip with all the starting and stopping.

We left around 4pm on Sunday and get to junction 11 M25 and the wipers started going slow, then the rev counter stopped, then the light went dim, WTF is going on! The car then died on the middle lane of the M25:****er: Lots of slow traffic around so wasn't too dangerous, a kind AA guy stopped, by then i'd sussed out it was the alternator (it's one year old...), so we put his booster on the battery and I drove off the exit so we could put a charged battery on it.

We then drove home with the new battery and the AA guy following us

I'm getting really tired of Chinese junk parts failing on me, everytime we have a problem it's because of **** parts. I buy good stuff most of the time but there seems to be a level of **** parts that didn't exist a while back and it's getting harder to figure out what brand something is or if it's any good. The alternator on the car was a year old and was purchased from a stall at Wheels Day in 2016 (can't remember who but they were behind the announcer guy) it was 90 quid which I knew was cheap but I didn't have an option as the alternator died driving into wheels day.

I'm never buying cheap **** agin, it's not worth the agro.

That being said the Stude now has the Pertronix ignition from the vette and a new Powermaster 9000 starter from Real Steel.

I don't know at what point over the last week the alternator died/gradually started dying so this was probably the cause of my hunting problems and eventually left us stranded on the m25.

Aside from the breakdown i'm really happy with how the car performed, we need wider wheels and tyres as the 205's on the back just can't get me off the line fast enough and wheelspin in 2nd. Everything else on the car is optimised well, the 3.73 LSD and th700 are geared perfect for the car, the cam is quite mild so more grip and up in cam size slightly and the car will be a high 12 sec well balanced car

Last edited by Stude Star; 29-05-2017 at 09:21.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    allmost certan it was the lack of power that caused the misfiring when the voltage go low the spark does too , oh whell now you know the problem and its a reasonably eazy fix

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I think the alternator was being intermittent as it was dying.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Shame about the agro but great news that ya getting it on with ideas to keep improving

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers Jim. Yeah stupid **** problems but they do wear you down. Was potentially very dangerous so it's a good advert for fitting quality parts. She'll be back

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information