Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    maibe add a voltmeter to the dash , or one of those small red alternator warning lights
    http://www.tb-training.co.uk/images/altchk.gif

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
    maibe add a voltmeter to the dash , or one of those small red alternator warning lights
    http://www.tb-training.co.uk/images/altchk.gif
    The car has a Ron Francis wiring loom with VDO gauges including a voltmeter, I didn't look at the voltmeter as I thought it was a mechanical problem, only after did I realise.

Update -

An alternator bolt had snapped in the block causing the alternator to hang down, we've extracted the bolt and ordered new ARP bolts. We'll fit those and refit the alternator and test. Not sure if the alternator is ok till we refit, bolt came out easy so if the alternator is ok then it's an easy fix.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok then, an update.

My Dad fitted the new bracket bolts and refitted the alternator, the volt meter was still saying 12v when running.

I put the multimeter on the battery whilst running and got 12.2v Mmmmm.....with all loads on we got 11,8v. but the volts didn't go down gradually so we knew the alternator wasn't charging but it was probably doing something.

I then disconnected the neg battery cable and got 0.4 Ohm's. So the alternator/battery circuit isn't open, which is good.

Then checked the fuses (again), all good.

I felt the one wire from the rear of the alternator and the post felt wobbly, thinking the alternator was probably junk we decided to take it apart and see why it was loose.

Low and behold the stud was loose because the wire attatched inside had fatigued and melted...but the broken wire was still leaning against its post, hence my intermittent alternator. I soldered up a new wire, cleaned the areas up, re assembled the thing, put it back in the car and hey presto 14v on the volt meter

So it was two issues

1 - the alternator cable inside had progressively fatigued and finally broken, but was still intermittently touching its post. (i think it was like this from new as it used to spark every now and then)
    2- the alternator bracket bolt to the block had snapped causing the alternator to flop around.

Sorted now
    Last edited by Stude Star; 14-06-2017 at 20:36.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    that was a bugger to diagnose then. most would've just fitted a new alternator and not bothered to investigate 'why?'. good job mate.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    that was a bugger to diagnose then. most would've just fitted a new alternator and not bothered to investigate 'why?'. good job mate.
    Yeah, as the general quality of parts has gone south i've started to check everything regardless of how new or old it is. There was nothing to lose by taking it apart.

Speaking to Real Steel they said flex plates can be out by 100thou either way from new. Chinese machining is so bad now that nothing can be taken for granted. It's amazing that 60 years ago they could produce stuff with exacting tolerates but now it's all over the shop.

No wonder were all having so many issues with parts that once would have just been bolted on.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    "you can have 2 of these choices : fast cheap good "
    if its fast and good it isnt cheap
    if its fast and cheap it isnt good
    if its cheap and good it isnt fast

allways go by this when buying stuff

I'm a grown up member now ! Justboy's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Stude, I'm looking for one of these if you have it. '97 Explorer rear leaf spring bracket LHS.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Justboy View Post
    Hey Stude, I'm looking for one of these if you have it. '97 Explorer rear leaf spring bracket LHS.

I'm sorry mate, no I don't have any of them, I did a while back but I thinned out my stuff. Sorry.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dad took the Stude to Brooklands on Sunday, a nice show with a good turn out

We've taken the Stude bonnet and boot down to the Soda Blaster this morning, the plan is for them to strip and phosphate prime them, then on Tuesday we'll take them to the sprayers to get him to coat them up in the Antigua Blue metallic that car came in when we bought it.

The bonnet and boot are from the Texas car, they are currently in red and are being stripped as the paint it cracked and blistered due to heat from the Texas sun. I fully expect them to be mint once stripped

As the Vette is only a week or so away from being finished and Dad now has the Camaro my dad has decided to sell the Stude We've had the car 10 years and it's time for someone else to have some fun with the car (it's the most fun/usable car we've ever owned).

Anyhow the plan is to get the bonnet and boot sprayed but leave the doors as they look good ratty.

Last edited by Stude Star; 06-09-2017 at 21:04.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I picked up the panels from the soda blasters. They're mint and have been Phosphate primed.

They're at the sprayers now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information