It's looking good mate, a lot of hard work's gone into that, hope it handles as well as you expect it to.
Cheers Johnny. Yeah she should handle fine as before.
I got the welder to weld on the anti roll bar brackets to the axle tubes incase we can rig it up.
We're using the old shock mount brackets. Just need to plumb the brake line, clean up. Do a small amount of welding round the rear body mounts and she'll be back together.
Last edited by Stude Star; 06-10-2014 at 11:31.
Mocked up the rear end tonight and i've realised i've had a bit of a measuring fail.... the new rear end is 56 1/2" wide and the old one is 57", a whopping 1/2", not sure where my 3" has gone.
I guess I measured the 8" badly whilst it was on the car, hey ho, at least we don't need any new wheels yet.
still, i've gained an LSD, better gears with the 3.73's and disc brakes, we'll roll the arches and fit wider wheels later.
The only rust we've found is in the corner of the boot where the wheels throw up junk.
Our mate Dave has done an amazing job of making the corner piece and inner wing.
Just got the same to do on the other side.
For a 63 year old car it's amazingly sound.
We have new U bolts, just gotta clean up the underneath, underseal, then the axle can go on.
Axle back off and on again with the new U-bolts and 2" lowering blocks from Hauser.
U-bolt are 3 1/4" FYI. and 8 1/2" long for the 2" lowering blocks.
We're using the explorer shock mounts/axle pads, but modded by cutting off the old part of the old mounts as the shock angle is different.
The Explorer prop uses a flange mount to the diff, the 8" prop uses a UJ.
Off to JW Engineering tomorrow with the prop.
We got the prop out and measured it for length
The Blue Stude will have had 4 different props by the time we get this one back.
1 - Stock Stude
2 - TH350-8"
3 - TH700-8"
Last edited by Stude Star; 23-10-2014 at 20:07.
Just got the prop back from J W Engineering.
1st class service, dropped it in Tueday afternoon and got it back the next day at noon!
After having a chat with them we decided the tube was too thin and that we should go for a new thicker tube with new UJ's and painted.
All this for 215 quid, what a joy to deal with.
The prop was originally from a Mustang II hence it being rather thin, the 302 in the Mustang put out a whopping 140hp going to an 8". The SBC now in the Stude has twice that power, a built TH700 with a shift kit going to an 8.8" with an LSD and big tyres in the future. Hence upgrading the prop.
The new prop is half again as heavy as the old one.
Last edited by Stude Star; 29-10-2014 at 19:39.
Well, you didn't get shafted!
Looking good and nearly there!
If I wasn't meant to go that fast, the pedal would only go half way!
"I'm not going to take this defeatist attitude and listen to all this crap any more from all these people who have nothing except doomsday to predict."
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)