Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: roof chop glass

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brading View Post
    Pilkington Glass can supply new screens for certain cars including a Consul which I thought would be EC 43r mark. If you went that route would be worth asking if they could do a chopped one. No idea of the price though.
    About a 6 month wait and only Hiline screens available in EC marked .Pilkingtons have moved to one of the Scandanavian countries.

An AS1 marked screen is also acceptable for BIVA and can be found on other suppliers glass , possibly even Pilkingtons lowline screen. Also can be found on export model screens.
    Last edited by kapri; 15-05-2020 at 11:31.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    About a 6 month wait and only Hiline screens available in EC marked .Pilkingtons have moved to one of the Scandanavian countries.

An AS1 marked screen is also acceptable for BIVA and can be found on other suppliers glass , possibly even Pilkingtons lowline screen. Also can be found on export model screens.
    pretty sure the low and hi line glass is the same kev. the rubbers are different and the only (relevant) body difference is the roof skin being more 'crowned' ie higher above the gutter/windscreens but the same from there down.
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did wonder that as the Hiline is rarer so seemed a weird one to chose ? I had let those with Mk2s talk to Pilkington about it . It doesn't help when the supplier themselves doesn't know what they are selling

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've had my Consul 40 years and always thought the Hi Line had a deeper screen lol
    I know that the actual roof is more bulbous etc.
    That's very good to know as I sunk my screen which was given to me from which model I do not know.

Which swings round to the chop if you are gonna cut the glass... Although you haven't said what sort of style you are after.
    Chop it and lean the A B posts over and still have to lengthen roof between AB posts to line up. (Mine)
    Or chop it and lengthen AND widen roof to make it line up with posts (LoLid)
    Or chop it fit another roof (Lemon Squash)

My first version simply had a template cut plastic screen bent over a stock screen at a speedboat place in Sheperds Bush lol
    It lasted 20 years with just a t-cut and minimal wiper usage.

In the rebuild I followed whatisname who sunk a screen in to his Humber.
    It was a fiddly job but it gives a great look with the bottom of screen hidden.
    If it pops I order a stocker and good to go. Whereas if you've financed a chopped screen, and you don't get a fixed price, if five crack you buy em all. Then you go for a blast and it cracks from a stone. Screw that.

When I did the scuttle mod I had to recreate a stock surround from a chopped one which took time.
    From fresh I saw that a three inch screen lower in job would be easy. My five inches hit complex scuttle shapes but dropping a full screen and surround by 3" would be a relative breeze.

Last edited by Kustom Jim; 15-05-2020 at 20:43.
    "We should take comfort that while we may have more still to endure, better days will return: we will be with our friends again; we will be with our families again; we will meet again."

7. Likesmygasser, julian3263 liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    the windows are no taller on the hiline, the doors are the same on both which bears that out.
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks jim , look at all option over the years I fink if I can get a screen cut thirst, then cut the roof to it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information