Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Rover V8 carbuaration.

Hi. I have an ongoing project with the installation of a Rover V8 and 5 speed manual gearbox into a 1955 Bristol 405. A while ago, I bought off the site what I thought was an Edelbrock 1404 carburettor. Turns out its an Edelbrock 14054. So a 600 cfm carburettor instead of a 500 cfm one. The guy doing the installation always said he would recommend a Holley 390. But I had a devil of a job finding a secondhand one. Reading the RPI Engineering website, they said they had stopped using Holley 390's some years ago in favour of the 1404. That's really why I looked for a secondhand 1404. I'm not really interested in big performance for this car. Much more interested in smoothness, and reasonable fuel consumption. The engine is a standard 3528 cc Rover V8. so I'm interested to take anyone's views. 600 cfm 1405 too big? 1404 better than 390? What would you recommend?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know it may not apeal to you but in the past I have used with great success Weber 38DGAS carbs as fitted to Ford 3litre engines.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think the holley would over fuel and cause running issues

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, John you've used the Weber 38DGAS on the Rover V8? And Darren, but surely for years the Holley 390 was the most popular carb upgrade for the Rover V8 wasn't it?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm running a 38 dgas on 3.5 rover and manual box. Works a treat. I was recommended it. Also been told that for next project no bigger than a 390 Holley due to over fuelling issues

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have made numerous rover manifolds to take the Webber, the off road boys love them as they give good low end power and better economy than a holly. I have a 600 on a well tuned 3.9 rover and it works ok, when I had it on the 3.5 it never ran well, the 390 is about as big as you want to go on a stock rover. I have never used the edelbrock on a rover but they are a good carb BUT I would say the same applies, no bigger than a 390cfm. have a look here to calculate best carb Calculate Required CFM Of Carburetor
    Last edited by trevd; 04-03-2014 at 07:11.

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all. According to the calculator the engine really only needs around 300 cfm. In the RPI Engineering notes, they say they use the 1404 because the primary produces the first 200 cfm, and the secondary when it opens brings in the remaining 300 cfm giving 500 cfm in total. Does anyone know the respective figures for the 1405? What does the primary produce? I should add, that I'm in the peasant end of the market, having bought the 1405 I could do without having to buy something else as I still need to find a manifold. Thanks again for all your inputs.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 600cfm Edelbrock on my Rover 3.5. It too was sold to me as a 500 but on inspection of the part number turned out to be wrong. The jets and needle sizes also confirmed this.

I've changed out the needles and jets to those specified for use on a Rover V8.

Reading the specs of the two carbs on the Edelbrock website, aside from the needles/jet sizing, there is no physical difference in port size. Inspecting two carbs side by side, the 500 has more restrictive 'venturis' at the mouths of the ports, no doubt to get the reduction in flow.

Now I have changed the needles and jets, the engine runs fine, no issues at all. (it was running really rich before as the the standard 600 jets are larger, obviously)
    Last edited by Bitsa; 04-03-2014 at 15:38.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    390 is the way to go .

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information