Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

rover v8 rough running and non start issue

Hi, im currently doing some work on my friends 100e with a sd1 rover v8, and I have a bit of a running issue, the car has been garaged for the last few years but has been stared regularly with no problems, I have been tasked with geting the pop back on road, which has all been straight forward until I started it last week.

before I go into what the problem is I will tell you whats on the car, it has a early sd1 3.5 v8 with a 4160, 390cfm 4 barrel carb and a opus type dizzy with ballest resistor.

My problem is this the first time I stared it I had a probably with the carb, which was the float operated fuel valves were not closing and flooding the carb I sorted that by striping them out and cleaning them out I thn reset the float levels as per the holley instructions, I put the rough running and not ideling down to this, so yesterday when I fired up the following happened the second I touched the key it instantly burst into life happy days I thought but it still ran rough but much beter than before then I attempted to let it idle and it stopped, not to restart again, so I checked for a spark and there was one present, and fuel pump was still running and the float bowels were full, I then give it spray of easy start and still nothing, so at this point I retired to a cold beer, then today I went back out to it today and exactly the same fired up straight away again still ran rough below 3500rpm but over that it ran loverly and I kept it running for a bit then attrmpted to let it idle again it stopped and would not restart, at this point I gave up again , and had a look online and found that the opus dizzys are very problematic, and cause very similar problems to what I have, does anybody have any other ideas of what may be causing this issue, as this is my first venture Into v8s.

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Far Far sarf of Watford now!!! any further, my feet are wet!, Sunny Bexhill on Sea.
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Once Rovers wet their plugs, they will not clean up, no matter what you do, I used to have a drawer full of discarded Rover plugs I would suggest tomorrow, Mark the plug leads, looking from the front of the engine, No 1 is on your right, and all are odd Nos on that side, 1.3.5.7, even on the drivers side remove the plugs, no matter how new they may be, and fit new ones, before fitting, with the old plugs out, floor the throttle and spin the engine over for a few seconds to dry it out,

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had the plugs out and they seemed ok, so regapped them and put them back in, but I wilk try a new set tommorow thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Might be worth getting hold of an OE dizzy cap and rotor. The RV8 are well known for needing the original cap n rotor.many a problem with aftermarket items
    1932 Ford Model A Coupe
    1940 Ford Coupe

Far Far sarf of Watford now!!! any further, my feet are wet!, Sunny Bexhill on Sea.
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rp460 View Post
    Might be worth getting hold of an OE dizzy cap and rotor. The RV8 are well known for needing the original cap n rotor.many a problem with aftermarket items
    There are some discrepancies with RV8 rotor arms and caps, Some rotor arms sold to fit earlier dissy don't work, Early arms are lower than later ones, (Thats from Memory) resulting if you mix them on occasion you can either not have the rotor arm contacting the pegs in the cap, or, wiping the arm out and cap sometimes,

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information