rover V8 sump

Are all RV8 sumps interchangeable?

i.e. 3.5 fit on a 4.6?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The flange pattern is the same, but I'm not sure about oil pumps/oil pickups as I use a dry sump setup on mine.
    Stuart.
    My website: Isn't working at the moment
    My Intro

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that. Looks like I may have to change pick up then.

Jeff

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict BlueGenePop's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes the sump wil fit our Granny tow car has had a couple of Rovers the latest one being a 4.6 Rangey mill. The 4.6 uses the new crank driven oil pump, which is wonderful as opposed to the 50's Buick one it had in it's earlier incarnations. We used the intermeadiate front cover which uses the serpentine belt front end the superb new oil pump and a dissy which is great if you dont want to use all the Gems injection and computer. John Eals Developments was a great help in parts at the right price. The 4.6 does not rev but it has loads of torque. Last year sat at the lights on the M60/62 interchange a couple of chavs in a Corsa pulled up next to us and were gawping at the pop on the trailer and the granny towing it, they were a bit gobsmacked when I hit the loud pedal and out dragged them up the ramp!
    Counting miles counting tears
    Twisted road shifting gears
    Year after year, It's all or nothing

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want to add my twin turbos and the sump I have came off the 3500 and is the proper Janspeed one with the drains and extra baffles in.
    Did you use the Gems or did you go with a carb and dizzy?

Far Far sarf of Watford now!!! any further, my feet are wet!, Sunny Bexhill on Sea.
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let me say, NO they do not interchange, the Later engine timing covers have a different front edge to accept the serp oil pump, the only way to do the 3.5-4.6 sump swap would be change the oil pump back to the old style, where you have to change cam, timing gear and all the front of the engine, and get a spacer from JE engineering for the crank. the other problem with the Jems engine will be the depth of the sump. I think the 4.6 stroke will clout the 3.5 sump, also the 4.6 sump is not as shallow as the 3.5 as it has a suction pipe running along the length of the engine into the bottom of the pump, where the early block has a short pickup that bolts to a boss on the block skirt
    A advantage of the 4.6 Jems engine is its about 35-40mm shorter than any of the V belt engines

My later style Jems sump with one square corner

and my earlier sump with both corners angled

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was that the motor you got from me a couple of years ago?

Far Far sarf of Watford now!!! any further, my feet are wet!, Sunny Bexhill on Sea.
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats the one, I have been busy building things, so It went on the back boiler, but I will be into it soon, I have other stuff to make for it, all the ancillary stuff has been removed and bracket cast to run just the alt, pump and Idler pulley, obviously the cast sump and Im still making a valley plate for it,

Official RnS Addict BlueGenePop's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am pretty sure the engine in our granny has a 3.5/3.9 sump and it is a 4.6 cross bolted Rangey block. We used the "intermeadiate" front cover which was only made for around 18 months, before the Gems engine. It still uses the new crank driven oil pump, but has a dissy mounting, the w/pump is reverse rotation because it is driven off the back side of the serpentine belt. We used a perfomance 3.5 type cam with trust plate to stop cam walk the plate came from John Eals and I think the was a little bit of macine work to make it fit
    The engine was completed using a dual plane mainfold and a 500 Edelbrock carb and electronic dissy trigering the MSD.
    It's a few years since I built this engine, and I have a recollection of a spacer need on the crank, and if you use the oil cooler outlet and inlet there is something weird about them,and they have to be the right Range Rover fittings, but being as I had to use a remote filter anyway, I just put a take off plate on the oil filter fitting.
    Counting miles counting tears
    Twisted road shifting gears
    Year after year, It's all or nothing

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the oil pump fittings, I think the fittings can be converted to -12 to 20mm JIC fittings if you machine off the taper seat, the Rover fitting has a crimped flange on the pipe and a O ring fitted to that which is clamped into the bottom of threaded hole.
    The serp intermediate cover was only fitted to 4.0 discos, they sell for good money on EBay if you can find one.
    I dont think the 3.5 sump will clear the oil pickup pipe for the annular pump, I may be wrong, Ill check tomorrow,
    Last edited by v8ian; 08-02-2011 at 22:20.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information