Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rust paint over

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Rust paint over

Got a slight problem here. Rust !. I need to stave off the advance of this for a while . Short of cutting out the area what paint over applications are any good . Ive read a lot of reviews and its all sales hype and bull , but anyone out there had results with specific products . I just need a product i can apply over the rust area .
    Has there been a discussion on this topic before.
    Many thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    How bad is the rust and where is it?

If it's not that much Think about using a rust remover gel from someone like bilthamber or jenolite, they work really well but can be fiddly to use.,moaning the gel on and then agitate it every now and then with a wire brush if you can get in and it seems to remove the rust really well.

Or try and get hold of a rust remover laser like these ones...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CLaBFkeHG0A

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Inside the front wheel well at the top of the coil suspension strut off to one side . Not sure if its under the coil spring retainer at the top .
    I need to drop the front struts and have a look see but next year is better time .
    Just need a quick layer of protection i can easily remove next year , i read por 15 is a pig to remove , if thats the case it has to be another brush on product that can be removed with a wire brush in a drill or sanding discs .
    Not what i wanted to see under my vehicle but it has to be dealt with ASAP.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    POR15 will come off with a wire brush.

I've found all sorts of things while working offshore that are good for rust (malt vinegar is surprisingly good for cleaning up rusted bolts for example). Get at it with a wire brush, give it a real good scrubbing, then paint over whats left with POR15, or some marine grade primer & sealer... Kurust supposedly works but I never found it to be much cop. But essentially there's no "silver bullet" for stopping rust... Actually a good coating of oil I find works well for keeping stuff shiney, but once it sets in, it sets in.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have used rust converters like Kurust and aqua steel. Follow the instructions and not in cold weather as it needs moderate temperature to work. As said not a silver bullet but once you have got the loose scale off and cleaned and degreaser it, you can get a suitable brush and work it in. I find that if you damp the surface first it helps get the product into the pores of the rust. Leave it 24 hours and paint over of just leave it as a black coating. My van had a rusty bit on the side when I bought it in 2003 and I had some spare Granville rust converter so dabbed it in. It's still there unpainted and black. The secret is as usual in the preparation.
    Greatest discombobulations to all my readers.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    you could add this to your paint to improve it - work with any oil based paints
    Owatrol Oil - rust inhibitor and paint conditioner | Owatrol Direct

https://www.tradepaintdirect.co.uk/owatrol-oil.html

Properties

'' As a paint conditioner it improves the finish and eases application in difficult conditions
    - Owatrol Oil added to any solvent based paints, varnishes or stains and will reduce brush marks and improve coverage
    - Unlike thinners, which weaken the paint, Owatrol Oil fortifies it - increasing penetration and adhesion to provide a long-lasting finish that resists peeling or flaking
    - Owatrol Oil can be used to combat rust wherever it occurs, penetrating deeply to stabilise the rust and prevent it from reforming.
    - Because of the 'wetting' properties it penetrates through the rust to the sound metal beneath, driving out moisture and air and filling the rust pores with oil.''
    neil

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your help .
    I have looked at Bilthamer and jenolite products , what do you rekon on these ?.
    I will look at Owatrol .
    Cant afford a new car or would even want a computer controlled piece of plastic crap.
    Thanks again

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jeno lite - phosphoric acid. Good stuff can also be used as a flux when soldering stainless steel. Needs good ventilation and will destroy some paints so handle carefully.
    Greatest discombobulations to all my readers.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kurust I've found is good for holding things at bay, just paint plenty on and leave it. Add more when necessary.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information