Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Seeking help :How to specify a transverse leaf spring

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  doctor rod 
#1 · (Edited)
I believe that the transverse leaf spring on my model T is both too weak and too short resulting in virtually no suspension travel. I would like to have a custom spring manufactured and would be grateful for advice on how to specify the spring. The car is running a Ford Beam axle (38.5 inches between perch centres and 48 inches between king ping centres, that seems to equate to a 37-41 Ford ?) The spring is mounted directly above the axle via perches and shackles, suicide style, with the spring mount protruding from the front of the chassis. The current spring is "reverse eye" to get the ride height low, however the spring is almost flat when under load. The axle is supported with split wishbones.

I have had the quarters weights properly measures and I have weighed the front axle/hubs/wheels etc to estimate unsprung weight. What I am struggling with is how to specify the spring shape, size and spring rate. Or should I simply provide information to a spring manufacturer and let them work it out - although I am nervous about getting the ride height right.

I have attached pictures showing the suspension loaded and unloaded

Can anyone help please? Many thanks, Brian.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting problem. No doubt if you contacted a good spring manufacturer, with all the sizes, they could advise.
Would it be possible to get the spring re-tempered, to give it less travel.

I can recommend Jones Springs in Darlaston, who do an excellent job at sensible prices.

#5 ·
There doesn't look to be very many leaves in that front spring. Getting it rebuilt with a couple of extra leaves put in would increase the spring rate if it's too weak.

I've used a company called Brost Forge in N. London to do my leaf springs. They've always done good work with a quick turnround.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.