Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  2
+ Reply to Thread
    I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Shortening 2 piece propshaft

Hi
    My name is Len, i have a rover p5b with jag front n rear suspension.
    Ive also got a xjs split prop, and to get it to fit nice i could do to shorten the rear piece between centre bearing and diff.
    Any advice ought there or anybody done this sort of mod?
    Ive seen plenty on shortening or lengthening the front part but not the rear.
    Thanks in advance.
    Len.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Having had a prop try to come through thefloor my recommendation is get it done professionally .

If you must do it yourself the back end of the prop is always where to do it for leat balance problems . Firstly mark the prop from the joint along more than you intend to cut off to keep u/j in phase .

Slice AROUND ( not through) the rear weld whilst rotating the shaft and you should then be able to tap the rear plug section and u/j out .

Take out the required amount , reinsert the plug and weld back up.

4. LikesWolselliac liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’m not sure where you are but we’ve used these guys a few times and they’ve been spot on every time. They’re at Feltham near Heathrow.

Home

6. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i've cut n shut lots of props over the years and the most successful way (balance wise) i've found is to cut the required amount from the centre of the tube that needs shortening. as kev says keep the uj's phased/inline, i scribe a line along the tube. then cut out the bit you don't need from the middle of the tube. clamp the 2 peices between 2 bits of 2" angle iron whilst lining up your scribe line. tack both sides and then fully weld what you can get to, swapping side to side to avoid distortion. next remove the angle irons and carefully grind/sand (i use a flap wheel type disc on the grinder) the welds smooth. reclamp the angle irons over the welded sections and weld the remaining sections, again swapping side to side. remove the angle irons, sand/grind the welds smooth. i don't know how much you're cutting out but using that if it's at least 6" i cut it in 2 length ways and clamp the 2 peices over the joint like a splint keeping the length ways gaps even each side. weld these in place and sand/grind the welds smooth. you may need to balance it if you get some vibration, clamp a jubbly clip round the prop, rotating it's position until the vibration goes. you may need more than 1 clip, once happy either tack them in place or weld a bit of plate to the prop where the gubbins bit of the jubbly clip/s were just like you see on bought props.
    this may all sound a bit heath robinson to some but i've done this many times on cars, vans and lorries and as long as the 2 bits you're joining are the same diameter tube it'll work.
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Home

OI think a 56'' long chevy prop in 3'' tube was £180
    all new
    1310 joints
    Last edited by Nobler; 09-05-2020 at 13:03.

9. LikesWolselliac liked this post
    I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info chaps, il let you know how i het on.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information