Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

SBC 350 cruising RPM

Hello again everybody!

Many thanks to those who have helped me with a previous issue.

Now, onto another issue, and relating to a new build which will entail the use of a standard SBC 5.7 & TH350 trans along with a volvo 240 rear axle (3.31-1 ratio), as well as using 255/60 15" rear tyres.

I am figuring out the approx cruising speed etc with the help of the online calculators elsewhere on the forum (engine revs, trans, axle ratios and tyre sizes etc), just wanted to know on average what rpms your 350 does in any modified car that you have put together.

Using the ratios etc that i have on the vehicle so far, at approx 70mph i am looking at a tad over the 3000rpm mark. Ideally i was hoping to have it lower than this as it will be an everyday car and not a drag strip goer if you see what i mean!?

So, in essence, i was wondering if approx 3000rpm is acceptable or unbearable with this motor & set-up etc. What rpms do your own vehicles do at say 60, or 70mph?

Many thanks to anyone who could help me out with this!

Marc
    Last edited by Marc; 01-07-2010 at 09:37.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Dragging not Bragging vince-305's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Marc

Have a look here mate you can see a similar question asked by me

https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/tec...s-per-mph-2915

Im using 2.75:1
    Bit'z 'N' Piece's
    Ford consul mk2 chevy powered highrider

Odd Rod junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    A 3000 rpm small block will run alright, but suck the fuel pretty bad. If you want the short gearing, but still be able to cruise, have you looked at installing a torque splitter? A decent rpm for a mild build performance will cruise around just smoothly at 1750-2500rpm. Mind you, that is an expensive way to get the overdrive. The only ones I have seen are for manual transmisisons, also would need a different driveshaft since it adds a bit of length to the trans.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Exceeded sell by date Plumpcars's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    My 55 has a 350. Probably only about 300hp. TH400. 2.7 gears and on the current tyres it's cruising comfortably at app. 2400 at 70mph. Returns low twenties mpg at that pace.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is doing 2000rpm @ 40mph, 3000 @ 60, etc. Sounds like mine is a bit short on rear ratio!

Mind, on a run I am getting about 24mpg. (As long as I can keep my bloody foot off the 'GO' pedal!!!)

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    3000 RPM @ 70 MPH will be OK for an SB Chevy , but unless your ride is incredibly heavy with the aerodynamics of a housebrick, you should be able to run higher gearing than that without any problems.

My 1950 Chevy truck has a warmed over 350 motor and runs 2100 RPM @ 70 MPH in fifth gear, never had to change down for hills or such.
    Stuart.
    My website: Isn't working at the moment
    My Intro

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Assuming you want decent mpg and nice relaxed cruising why not use a 200r4 overdrive auto instead of the th350.
    It has a low 1st ratio to give some punch off the line but in overdrive top it will drop your revs and save you on mechanical wear and give much better economy. The 200r4 is similar in size and shape to the th350 so you can use the same gearbox mounting.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by firebird68 View Post
    Assuming you want decent mpg and nice relaxed cruising why not use a 200r4 overdrive auto instead of the th350.
    It has a low 1st ratio to give some punch off the line but in overdrive top it will drop your revs and save you on mechanical wear and give much better economy. The 200r4 is similar in size and shape to the th350 so you can use the same gearbox mounting.
    Whats the 200r4? I originally bought my chevy lump with what i was told to have a 700r4 on it before i picked it up, but unfortunately turned out to be a 4l60e box instead so was useless for my purpose as the 4l60e has a fully electronic valve gearchanging unit which is all wired into the original wiring harness.

Might be an idea for me to maybe post a wanted ad in the forum for one of the 200r4 / 700r4 boxes then to gain the overdrive!?
    Last edited by Marc; 04-07-2010 at 14:45.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    200r4,700r4 and4l60e are all GM automatic overdrive boxes , 200r4 is closest to a th350 ,the 700 and4l60e are basically similar.There is a guy on here who ships in cut-outs from the States [ Adey?] , never used him myself but might be worth a try.
    The thing to remember is if you want street performance any of these boxes will work but for serious strip performance they are not as strong.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, thanks for everyones help, I dont suppose by any chance somebody has a 200r4 box kicking about that they wish to sell me!? :o)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information