Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

SBC inlet manifold

New to this Chevy engine

On underside of inlet manifold is a shaped metal plate held in by four pins. What is it for ?

I have removed it and it is absolutely full of oily hard bits of carbon ? ?

Oil contamination may be where i have been cleaning outside of manifold prior to removing plate

cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    its the splash shield to keep oil off of the exhaust crossover. make sure you get the 4 pins secure when replacing it as you dont want them rattling around the motor.
    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok thats great

so maybe a bit of thread lock in order then.

Mine splash guard is full of hard carbon i assume its exhaust build up so presumably my manifold gaskets have been leaking !

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    no its oil fumes built up and baked hard
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    You could leave it off and block the crossover passages in the heads. a good few aftermarket manifolds dont have them. the blanks are usually included in the gasket set. If you choose to refit it I recommend using new pins.
    Last edited by satan; 14-01-2014 at 20:37.
    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some good advice thanks.

So whats the exhaust crossover for ?

Is it like the link pipe between the two exhausts I used to have on my old TR7 V8 ( rover ) to help scavinge the cylinders ?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matiz View Post
    Some good advice thanks.

So whats the exhaust crossover for ?

Is it like the link pipe between the two exhausts I used to have on my old TR7 V8 ( rover ) to help scavinge the cylinders ?

Not really, the pipe you refer too is a balance pipe. the one in the inlet manifold is and aid to cold weather driveability. most of the performance orientated inlet manifolds dont have them as the cooler charge aids fuel density. hence the benefits of intercoolers. there is much info on this on the internet and opinions do vary, have a bit of a search round and read up before you decide.
    Last edited by satan; 15-01-2014 at 10:05.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok thats great info.

Also on the manifold is a small bore steel tube that has a loop that goes inside this crossover pipe .

On the outside of manifold it is connected by rubber tubing to back of rochester quadrajet at the top and then to what is left of what i think was the auto choke on the right hand ( as viewed from driver position ) of the carb. The chokes on carb have been " wired " open.

So presumably this was also some sort of heating device and that i can bypass this loop if I blank off the crossover pipe, which is what i am tending towards doing.

I wont be using this as a daily driver, more for a bit of weekend fun, if I can get engine swap registered at DVLA.

I'm a grown up member now ! nitrousnutter's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just building a sbc with a quadrajet as well, just had a quad built in America for mine, the man that did it told me to tap the two holes that go down from the carb crossover with 3/8 (10mm) and plug them, as it was used to stop carb icing but it didn't really work and ends up heating carb too much, there was a factory recall in he late sixties as a few cars caught fire. I guess your intake has an oil filler tube, so it's from 1967-1969, they are a nice period looking intake tho, just block the two holes and it will be fine, you do need the crossover to be open tho from head to head as is works the thermostatic choke spring, again you can wire the flap under that plate so it doesn't close and cause problems with choke operation. Have a read on google that's where I learnt about it there's a lot of late 60's camaros still using them...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information