Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Spark plug blew out!!! help!!!

So i just got my beetle through its mot, super excited, took 2 years to get to this point. I drove it to my grandmas about 12 miles away, and noticed the oil light came on when going around corners, so checked the dipstick and there is 2 marks, at was around the bottom mark, went into town and grabbed some oil, i put it in in the carpark, went back into the shop to look around while it was settling, went back and checked it, added a little more and then it was just a little below the top mark. got in the car, went to start it and it would just crank, it would get so close to starting, it was spinning fast, if i pumped the pedal it would rev then just stop revving and wouldnt start, it would just keep trying, i held my foot down and it finally started, drove it back to my grandmas about 5 miles from the shop, and heard a banging sound, at first i thought the belt had snapped, i wasnt far from my grandmas so i mannaged to shut the engine off and coast it into her drive, got out opened the bonnet and there it was, the number 3 sparkplug sat there staring ad me like the little **** that it is, managed to find a 21mm socket and a ratchet, tightened it up but i get to a certain point where it gets tight then it just slips and goes loose, i tightened it to the tight point and took the socket off, i couldnt pull the plug out but i can wobble it about, putting my finger in the hole where it feels like the thread is, it feels like there is a big crack, but im not sure if it is or if its the thread or not though...
    I have not a clue what to do now, im 12 miles from home, got no one who can tow me back... I am however close to my college, who may allow me to pull the engine there and take the head off, is there anything i can do after, i have heard you can get something fitted in the gap, or something, also im not sure how i can get the car to my college, can i run on 3 cylinders, can i try to put the plug in to where it gets tight and drive it, im about 3-5 miles from my college so dunno if i can drive there, or if my teacher will even allow me to sort it there... anyone got any advice?

Sorry this is layed out so horrible and probably full of typos, im extremely ****ed off and upset about this, by the way, the car is a classic vw beetle...

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a bad day at the office, the good news is if the head isn't cracked you can get a spark plug heli coil kit it includes a tap which you run straight down the stripped out thread then an insert is tightened in, job done, it is safer done with head off but iv'e done them in situ in past and put a magnet on the tap so the cuttings stick to the tap, then just used an airline in plughole as a safeguard good luck!
    Its not the size of the dog in the fight its the fight in the dog

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heard of another trick but not tried it.
    Turn engine until piston is down in bore, squirt in grease, tap plug hole, turn engine. it pushes out grease with all the swarf.
    Best of luck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, will try to find somewhere that sells the kit, i live near a town called louth, which doesnt have much tool shops, bessides a small halfords, a small screwfix and an automate, which i think is the only ones...
    Will try that trick andy, sounds messy but worth it, will try a magnet and see how much comes out then that, also sounds a bit dangerous.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Take the head off, on the flat 4 it's a 30 minute job. You can try all the tricks in the book but you will never get all the metal out of the cylinder. Plus cracks between the valve seats and spark plug are common. Fast forward to minute 1:30

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know where to buy one from? im struggling to find any shops around me that stock them

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went out with a little mirror and torch, there is no crack where i thought there was, its a little groove that looks like it should be there, its on a little bit just before where the thread is, the thread looks ruined so i guess thats the problem, i will just try to get most of the metal out and keep changing the ould every now and then, im building an engine anyway, just need this one to keep going for about a month.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    German and Swedish will have any parts you need. They deliver and give a 40% discount via Rods and Sods

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right.

Don't do ANYTHING to that head wit hteh head on the engine. But it's easy peasy to whip it off.

Now. Anything you need, don't go to GSF. Order from VW Heritage or Machine 7 - both are good.

Driving on three pots is going to cause you some real headaches long term.

Whip the engine out (easy job), whip the head off (easy job) and swap it out. Honesty dude you are going to get nowhere trying to limp the car around as it is.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    That all sounds good and well, but i have no tools where the car is bessides a scissor jack, a flathead screwdriver, a 17 and 21 mm socket with a kind of ratchet, a 13 mm spanner and a spider wrench, all i can do is limp the car to college, or fix the number 3 sparkplug hole with a kit thing and then get it somewhere
    I posted the same problem on another forum and got a lot of answers saying to do it and that they managed like 8 years with it, i will just clean it up the best i can and hope for the best, hope it will last until my new engine is built. Machine mart apparently have a kit, i will head to grimsby tomorow and try to pick one up, its the only thing i can really do...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information