Stat o seal washers on banjo fitting in brake system?
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Stat o seal washers on banjo fitting in brake system?

I have read several positive reviews on different web pages (Summit, Jeg's, Amazon etc) from customers that have good experience with rubber bonded "stat o seal" aluminum washers on brake calipers.
    But I know for positive that at least some of the brands are not compatible with brake fluid. (Earls's, among others)

Funny thing is that when i ask other brands ( Goodridge, Drag Specialities etc) the refuse to answer. "Unfortunately we are unable to comment on this application." "we are unable to comment on brake fluid compatibility" etc etc.

If the rubber used on the washer is not compatible with brake fluid, why don't they just say so?
    Is it like "We want to sell them, but don't want to know what they are used on".

stat o seal.jpg
    Last edited by staleg; 17-01-2020 at 18:33.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    loom up a company called hydrahose Hydrahose service Ltd | UK’s Leading Suppliers of Hydraulic Equipment & Fittings. , they deal in everything hydraulic and run a dragster so know a bit about car related seals. they are on facebook and ebay. ytel them I sent you and they will sort out exactly what you need, top quality and probably cheaper than inferior stuff from America.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's wrong with using copper washers.

You can get an expanded type copper washer from think automotive.never had issues with them
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

5. Likesmygasser liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by staleg View Post
    I have read several positive reviews on different web pages (Summit, Jeg's, Amazon etc) from customers that have good experience with rubber bonded "stat o seal" aluminum washers on brake calipers.
    But I know for positive that at least some of the brands are not compatible with brake fluid. (Earls's, among others)

Funny thing is that when i ask other brands ( Goodridge, Drag Specialities etc) the refuse to answer. "Unfortunately we are unable to comment on this application." "we are unable to comment on brake fluid compatibility" etc etc.

If the rubber used on the washer is not compatible with brake fluid, why don't they just say so?
    Is it like "We want to sell them, but don't want to know what they are used on".
    Because if they say it's fine for your braking system and it fails causing a crash, they get sued.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those are sump plug washers, why the fk anyone would use something that has a means of "transport" for the fluid (rubber bit) is beyond me.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 68roadrunner View Post
    Those are sump plug washers, why the fk anyone would use something that has a means of "transport" for the fluid (rubber bit) is beyond me.
    They are also used to seal A/C pipework.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found it.
    These are compatible with brake fluid.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/HARDDRIVE-3...53.m2749.l2649
    Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not see where it says they are compatible with brake fluid. For safety if you do decide to buy some put one in a tub of brake fluid for a while to see if it affects the seal or not before you fit them.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I asked the store where they are sold.
    Classic Cycle parts. Existed since 2001. 337534 items sold, 99,6% feedback rating.

Here are another similar version:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Fitti...53.m2749.l2649
    Last edited by staleg; 22-01-2020 at 07:07.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    All this fuss about the banjo washers are because I have bought a set of Wilwood "GM direct replacement" calipers, that typically wasn't quite as much direct replacement as promised.
    And because stupid me painted them before I saw the problem, they are not returnable.

The trouble is the fitting. They are equipped with 1/8" npt fittings (most Wilwood calipers are) and to make a long story short, the adapter fitting that I need to fasten the brake hose, either interfere with the lower sliding bolt, or, if I use a hose with 90 degree bend that goes down below and around the sliding bolt to clear it, it interfere with the lower A arm on my IFS suspension at full turn.
    The Wilwodd-recommended way to do it, is the alternative that interfer with my lower suspension A arm.
    Because these calipers (according to Wilwood) are mostly used on racing classes where GM caliers are mandatory, they haven't had this issue earlier. I bought them directly from Speedway Motors in the US.

So now I'm trying a couple of different alternatives, without compromise on security. Photos show a 3/8-24 banjo bolt into 3/8-24 IFF fitting.
    threads are correct and the surface around the hole is large enough for the washers. Thread engagement is a bit less than desired, that's my only concern. By using washers with o-ring on the inside, my thought was to make it seal properly with less torque. I sent same photos to Wilwood and they didn't see anything wrong in plumbing it this way.

Haven't quite decided yet. Maybe I just give up the caliper change project and use the heavy iron GM calipers that I have. Lots of money out of the window, tow. Or maybe i worry too much. Not sure....

IMG_2859 (1).JPGIMG_2860 (1).JPG
    Last edited by staleg; 22-01-2020 at 08:39.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in