Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Official RnS Addict klassicdave's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Steering set up info required

Well, I'm just about nearing completion of my Prefect truck modifications but have come across a stumbling block regarding the steering. I'm using the original Prefect column which is at an angle of approx 135% and meets the Viva column section at a 180% plane. What is the best course of action to take with mating these to ensure a smooth movement of operation.
    I've got a good few mates who have some rather alarming setups, which although work, are far from perfect as they feel really notchy and resistant on turning the car from lock to lock. Are there any threads or websites which might cover this.

Cheers
    Dave
    I gotta hotrod Ford and a 2 dollar bill................

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is the angle where they intersect Dave ?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kev, thanks for the reply my friend. To simplify matters ( for me, not for you), I'll use a clock face explanation and would say that the steering column (in its original postion with the box 'shaved' off) is at ten to the hour and it has to meet the the connection coming from the rack at quarter to the hour. I know that this is far from a scientific approach, but its what best describes what I'm trying to convey. Phew, I hope you understand.................

Dave

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking from the other side of the car

I'm presuming that means the shaft coming from the rack is horizontal and that the in car steering shaft is 135' ( obtuse) raised from that so the u'js have to operate though 45' (acute).

If so you have to couple though more than a single u/j operating angle ,roughly 32-33 '...right so far ?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Kev, thats about right matey. I just tried to post you an email of an elementary sketch of what I was trying to convey, but there isn't the facility to attach er attachments through R&S.
    I'm compromised by the fact that I have already welded in engine mounts and that the alternator has to sit where it 'feels at home., so to speak.
    Dave

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    You'll need to support the horizontal rod to the chassis and the upper column needs supporting in two places as well. At the bottom of the shafts you need to fit 2 u/js with the working angle split between them as far as possible ie 22.5 'or therabouts per u/j IF the accute angle IS 45'

This means you need the same distance either side of the point where the shaft and column meet. You can do them close coupled on a small intermediate shaft so they are virtually one unit or extend the intermediate shaft to where it fits easier

Whatever you do it starts from the projected meeting point of both shafts and works backwards to keep operating angles equal ...hope that makes sense ?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks very much for your wisdom Kev, I'll make a pilgramage up to the garage tomorrow and check out the feasibility of going this route (space permitting). Hopefully it'll be an easy ride (excuse the pun) and I'll be ordering some parts pronto to link it all together.
    On a different note, I didn't manage to see you at the swapmeet in spite of looking out for you, must need some specs me thinks. LOL

Dave

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, I forgot to say that the 22.5' is on the back angle ie the one from horizontal so your open ( obtuse) angle on either joint will be 180-22.5 ( or half the true operating angle of column to horizontal ) so about 157.5 .

You could fit as many u/js as you need but using 2 makes mounting a lot easier and it is going past that 32' safe operation that makes the steering stiff and notchy, trust me , I have had the T shirt

I was down in the pits hidden behind the covered skip, I think it was the warmest spot in Essex .

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    sorry to jump in but is there a legal maximum amount or angles of the uj's for a biva?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you mean using as the collapsable front section they say it is unlikely to provide the correct deflection at less than 10 ' and they are aware of the maximum working angle .

No restrictions on the number of u/js used but the more you use the more bits to wear or provide support for.

As part of the test they will drive the car to check for self centring and general operation.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information