Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'm a grown up member now ! renegade53's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

strange brake problem

here's one for you, the suggestions i made don't seem to have sorted the problem. a mate has about 7 triumphs like mine (triumph 2000), but one of them has developed a strange brake problem. just driving around locally the brakes work fine, the problem is when you get on a dual carraigeway or m-way and doing about 50mph. why 50 you ask well he's just done the big ends and mains. anyway back to the brake thing going along without any need to brake, they'll start coming on on their own. it'll get to the point where the car can't take it and he has to stop. about 10-15 mins later he can drive away. now he's changed the connector to the servo the plastic bit. the connector on the manifold, the servo pipe. even the servo has been changed. someone suggested the breather on the brake master, but that hasn't solved it. the last part to change is the brake master. when the brakes come on it's all the brakes. it's not a dual circuit. the pedal can't be pushed when the car is forced to stop. he did remove the servo pipe and put a bit of paper over it, which did ease the problem by about 85 per cent. so is there summat in the master thats causing the problem

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Dragging not Bragging vince-305's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: strange brake problem

You say they start coming on themselves but is the pedal sinking ??

Im not familiar with the triumph range but is the servo a remote or bulk head mounted

Sounds more like something is binding more than anything else (like the rear brakes)

From a novice point of view
    Bit'z 'N' Piece's
    Ford consul mk2 chevy powered highrider

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds lke you have pressure build up in the braking system, maybe excessive servo pressure? But then you said when the servo line was removed it reduces the problem. Has the fluid been changed recently? If so did you use the correct fluid, and is it at the correct level, could be expanding as the fluid heats up under the bonnet, does it happen all the time? When driving round town or just motorways? Novice at this aswell, so could be barking up the wrong tree.

Cheers,

Stu.
    Last edited by StueyT; 10-04-2010 at 19:33. Reason: crap spelling.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

had a similar problem on an old rd 250 yamaha i used to have where one of the brakes would start binding and the hotter it got the more the brake would apply itself, this was caused by the lever not fully returning so the system was sealed, backed off the adjustment a bit and all was fine
    so could it bee the pedal isnt fully returning or the push rod is too long
    ttfn glenn

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

as the previous reply said, it sounds like a brake is binding, this warms up the brake fluid, if the adjustment between the pedal and the servo has been altered and the free play lost ( push rod lengthened to take up pedal travel ) then the piston nearest the pedal is to far up the bore and the exhaust port in the cylinder ( which allows excess fluid in the system back up in to the reservoir ) is covered and the fluid cannot get back, then its a knock on effect, as the fluid expands, due to the heat from the binding brake, the only thing it can do is push the caliper/wheelcylinder pistons out, eventually you grind to a halt, if you let it sit for awhile the fluid cools down, contracts and your back to normal...

kev
    i say, anyone for a spot of tiffin...

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

all the brakes come on, he said it only seems to be when on dual carriage ways or motorways, but not around town. all the cars have synthetic fluid. the servo is bulkhead mounted. the mk1 pi had the remote servo.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

had a problem like this a few years ago.. after replacing my master cylinder, i was driving for about 20 minutes and the brakes started to drag the car down,, when the pedal was pushed it was kind of solid.. turned out that the adjustment was wrong on the rod between the pedal and the master and not allowing the brakes to fully release,, as the fluid got hotter they applied even harder eventually slowing the car...when the car stopped moving for a while the brakes cooled down and retracted a little and car could move again

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Possibly the rod from the M/C to the servo is too long. There should be a little free play in it. Did the adjustment get altered when the new servo went in?
    Another issue, is there a return spring on the brake pedal? if not the pedal weight is enough to apply the brakes when the right circumstances arise.
    Kapri on here is the man to ask.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

You learn well Grasshopper If it's bulkhead mounted I'd go with the pedal return spring as Mark has posted above as my first choice from the sympthoms you give. If there's one on there replace it with a stronger one or add another.

Around town you are using the brakes so relieving the pressure. Once on a longer run with no brake usage the unvented vaccum increases allows the weight of the pedal to push the brakes on .

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

cheers everyone i've sent him a link to this page so he can read your helpful suggestions.
    many thanks for these and any future posts on the subject

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information