Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Rich, as far as I am aware the BMW 525 lump was also used in the rover 75, you might just find a cheaper doner that way as i am guessing the rovers will sell for less than the BMW??.. Dont know if they do anything big enough or rear wheel drive but I have been driving an HDi engined pug for a while now having sold the renault. Renault was a common rail diesel, allegedly good MPG but not a patch on the HDI and less reliable. I am not kidding, the thing runs on fresh air, on a run your looking at mid 50 mpg from a 1.9. I know this would not be big enough for yours but they did put them in the 406 estate which is a big car, not sure what the CC was for these though. Cheers J
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict streetfighter's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty sure the rover 75 has a 2.0 bmw engine in it, my mates got one, does over 50mpg, but its front wheel drive, so would need another gearbox. my personal favourite is mercedes c250, one made before 98 has a proper pump on it, not common rail, goes like stink even in auto variant, does well over 40, closer to 50, the one had did over 120mph, and accelerated from 40 to 80 like a missile. the 300 diesel is very heavy and not really that economical, needs a turbo to push it around efficiently. Omega engines are bloody good and quite powerfull, and can be upped in power by fitting bmw ecu as opposed to the 30bhp less vauxhall ecu. only thing to remember is they must be run on synthetic oil, and they take nearly 2 gallons, if they are not run on the right oil they will wear out and blow up within a few thousand miles.
    Last edited by streetfighter; 18-07-2011 at 23:50.

Official RnS Addict UK RUSS 1960 OLDS's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by streetfighter View Post
    Pretty sure the rover 75 has a 2.0 bmw engine in it, my mates got one, does over 50mpg, but its front wheel drive, so would need another gearbox. my personal favourite is mercedes c250, one made before 98 has a proper pump on it, not common rail, goes like stink even in auto variant, does well over 40, closer to 50, the one had did over 120mph, and accelerated from 40 to 80 like a missile. the 300 diesel is very heavy and not really that economical, needs a turbo to push it around efficiently. Omega engines are bloody good and quite powerfull, and can be upped in power by fitting bmw ecu as opposed to the 30bhp less vauxhall ecu. only thing to remember is they must be run on synthetic oil, and they take nearly 2 gallons, if they are not run on the right oil they will wear out and blow up within a few thousand miles.
    Hi streetfighter,

Yep the Rover 75 has got the BMW 2.0d 4 cylinder, with mixed driving i find it hard to get LESS than 50 MPG. Making it rear wheel drive should be straight forwards, just stick the BMW box on it. Timing chain is a nice touch as well. Other than an electric fuel pump failure last year when i was on holiday (thanks to R'n'S members help i was back on the road in know time) it has been ultra reliable in the 6+ years we have had it.

I did a round robin trip 2 weeks ago collecting parts, i filled the tank to the brim did 484 miles filled it back up to the brim and it took 36 litres which works out at 60MPG and for 240 of those miles i had two Rover V8 bottom ends in the boot + the four heads, two SBC heads, SBC inlet manifold, SBC water pump, four SBC rocker covers, a BBC sump, a big plastic box on the back seat full of Rover bits, pistons, rods, oil pumps, nuts bolts etc etc another box of spares for Hillman Minx/Sunbeam Alpine and my camera of course. (Looked like a gasser from the front and a tail dragger from the back).

There are two engine specs CDT=116bhp and CDTI= 131bhp, i have got the 131 with a tuning box from "ROVER RON" which ups it to 160bhp.

Got to agree about the Mercedes 300 TD, i ran a E300 TD auto estate (99/T) for about 3 years, i couldn't fault the car mechanicaly except for the **** poor fuel consumption of 30mpg average, 25mpg around the town.

The BMW 2.5 diesel (mid-late 90's) came in two versions TD and TDS to the best of my knowledge the Omega was only ever fitted with the TD version, which as you say is about 30bhp down on the TDS variant which was 143bhp, i ran a 325TDS SE for a few years (in fact i have still got it over my workshop) which proved to be reliable (timing chain no belt) and would return mid 40's mpg with a mix of driving and roads, on long journeys on A roads and motorways if you were sensible 55mpg was not unusual.

Cheers.

Russ.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am just about to start a 49 chevy truck project, would absolutely love to put my passat 1.9 tdi engine into it, mine has 255,000miles on it, does over 60mpg, uses no oil, no water, paid £120 for it 18 months ago as an mot failure, done over 20k in the last year alone. cars a bag of **** and an electrical nightmare, but its 100% reliable. I use it for work, lugging tools and crap around in, never washed it, been all over the country in it, and it still doesn't have any breathing back pressure. I find it amazing, Does anyone know of a gearbox that fits the engine to turn it round to rwd? I just can't think of anything that has ever had a vw 1.9tdi in it thats rwd?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by streetfighter View Post
    I am just about to start a 49 chevy truck project, would absolutely love to put my passat 1.9 tdi engine into it, mine has 255,000miles on it, does over 60mpg, uses no oil, no water, paid £120 for it 18 months ago as an mot failure, done over 20k in the last year alone. cars a bag of **** and an electrical nightmare, but its 100% reliable. I use it for work, lugging tools and crap around in, never washed it, been all over the country in it, and it still doesn't have any breathing back pressure. I find it amazing, Does anyone know of a gearbox that fits the engine to turn it round to rwd? I just can't think of anything that has ever had a vw 1.9tdi in it thats rwd?
    Practical Performance car magazine did a build up of a rwd vw diesel westfield kit car a few years ago,so it can be done. Maybe back issues on Ebay?

Official RnS Addict bigyellataxi's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonF View Post
    Practical Performance car magazine did a build up of a rwd vw diesel westfield kit car a few years ago,so it can be done. Maybe back issues on Ebay?
    Think I may have them if needed...

Fueled by Jim and Luckies.
    Still doing all the shit I used to ;-)

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats very interesting, would be keen to read it.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    Saw this in Spain last month at High Rockabilly, bloody great truck diesel engine in this sedan, looked completely mad and sounded great !

Ignore the date on the photo, I took it with an i phone app and it put the wrong date on the photo.

Last edited by racer132; 01-10-2011 at 21:40.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    That BMW 2.5 6 also put in a brief appearance in the Range Rover for which it was a bit underpowered.

What about a chevy 6.5 V8 diesel? There were a few knocking about in those Chevy ambulances that turned up a few years ago.

Also - what about the various Landy diesels - TD5 from the Disco/defender?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
    That BMW 2.5 6 also put in a brief appearance in the Range Rover for which it was a bit underpowered.

What about a chevy 6.5 V8 diesel? There were a few knocking about in those Chevy ambulances that turned up a few years ago.

Also - what about the various Landy diesels - TD5 from the Disco/defender?

Sort of defeats the object, fitting a diesel engine that returns the same mpg as a half descent petrol engine........or even less.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in