Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Testing a coil /ignition module ?

One of the many cars I'ev mangaed to break this week is Marians Figaro. I had to do a brake overhaul followed by fitting new plugs ( started straight away ) and then rotor ,cap and leads at which point it refused to restart. I refitted all the old stuff and it still wouldn't start .

Tried to check for a spark at the king lead from the coil and that was good

I then managed to flatten the battery ,put it on charge and walked away . I thought Camshaft Angle Sensor had failed so wasn't a happy bunny.

With a better attitude today I started again . Used a bulb to check thw switching at the coil and then also checked the injector pulsing with a noid , all good There's now no spark at al at the kinglead so I've pulled the coil and ignition module to check what's going on. Primary winding resistance is 1.1 and secondary is 9.85 on both terminals

Meanwhile any idea if the 3 prong ignition module can be checked for function ?
    Last edited by kapri; 10-04-2010 at 10:32.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Dragging not Bragging vince-305's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Testing a coil /ignition module ?

If its anything like the one used on the range rover efi lucas hotwire type Kev then Yes and it shows you how within the Haynes manual .................

Do you think i can find mine to scan for ya i think i must of let it go with the injection stuff i sold

There is another way about checking to see if it works ........................... Lick your finger and insert youll soon find out if it works mate
    Bit'z 'N' Piece's
    Ford consul mk2 chevy powered highrider

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the helpful advice Vince ...NOT

I've just cleaned up the earth terminal that bolts to the coil ( insulated by rubber washers from the coil mounting bracket ) and put it all back together ,still no spark.

Then I've run a check on that terminal with a multi meter and ,with the igntion turned on, I get a reading of 3.6 volts between that earth terminal and the earth battery post ? Is that correct ?

If I discnnect the 2 pin switching plug to the coil that reading goes .
    Surely that means one of the coil windings is 'leaking to earth?

It's not a standard cylinder type coil ,more the style that you find on some Fiats with an open winding on show.

In fact it's exactly like this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nissan-Figaro-...item1e5b456a70

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Dragging not Bragging vince-305's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Kev i know im no help but maybe if youve got some spare time this may help

http://forum.nissanfigaro.info/viewt...2a960013f9ecdf
    Bit'z 'N' Piece's
    Ford consul mk2 chevy powered highrider

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Vince . I've been a member on there since we got the car but didn't find that thread while searching After a read he had a spark but ours is awol hence believing it's an ignition module or coil issue ,neither of which is cheap hence I want to get the right one first time round.

The guys on the Micra March forum have been helping as well as they use the same engine only with a supercharger as well as the turbo

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Kev looking at the pic of the coil it looks like the ignition amplifier is attached to it, these are common to fail, or as you say crank sensor if fitted, you should be able to get details to check the values from workshop manual or nip to your local garage and ask to look on autodata for info.
    If quitters never win, and winners never cheat, then who is the fool who said "Quit while you're ahead"

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Workshop manual ? It's in Japanese ! As an import there is very little info about and I seem to be asking questions that most involved with servicing haven't encountered.
    I've replaced the ignition module and still no joy. I'm pretty sure the HT readings are too low so I'm going to recheck the Camshaft angle switching tomorrow and then pull the coil and test off the car to see if I can make it spark .
    Code reader comes back as 'No faut Found' .

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Nissans huh

That bit on the side of the coil is called the power transistor. It amplifies the signal from the ECU.

You should have 3 terminals on this. An earth, a feed from the ecu, and a connection to the coil earth. I'm sure the coil gets its power via an ignition relay so should see full voltage. The ECU will send a signal to the transistor 'base' terminal. This in turn activates the transistor and so it closes the circuit between the coil earth to the transistor earth (acts as the contact breaker in effect)

The ECU is designed so it doesnt have to collapse the whole of the primary field. Thats a fair old load, so by getting the transistor to do it makes the ECU's job lighter.

In terms of testing, search out how to check the continuity of a transistor. It's simple, but you're checking for directional continuity, so you may need a diode to help identify this.

Doh. After typing this I just noticed you've changed the ignition module, so it might be un-needed info above. if you still want to check the continuity of the transistor let me know.

I would check the ignition module is nicely earthed and that the ecu signal is reaching the transistor. Also check continuity between the transistor and coil earth and the coil voltage.

You may want to do this whilst the engine is stationery and cranking. If you have a spare CAS (crank angle sensor) you can spin this and it fools the ecu in to thinkin the engine is spinning, so it makes it easier to monitor the injectors and coil without unnecessarily cranking the engine.

One final note, I think Nissan uses a blue wire from the coil earth to the tacho. If this has messed up and continously earthing out the coil it wont start, so check that too.

Good luck. I bet whatever it is, it's a very simple fault. Once you find the ******* thing of course

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks , some interesting info and I've a better understanding of what wires goes where , I'll run it through this morning.

Apparently you check the module by testing directional flow on the 2 and 3 terminals , should only flow one way.

I was thinking about testing the coil off the car to get a spark but the isolated body was confusing me .
    Last edited by kapri; 23-04-2010 at 07:54.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you by any chance know what the secondary winding resistance should be on that style of coil , I'm getting 9.85 ?
    Last edited by kapri; 23-04-2010 at 08:43.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information