Track Rod end help.....
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Far Far sarf of Watford now!!! any further, my feet are wet!, Sunny Bexhill on Sea.
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Track Rod end help.....

n my quest I have come across a problem with the steering rack fitment..... or the track rod ends to be precise, I'm using a minor rack that has some beefy 5/8" track arms, with a 5/8 UNF thread, my problem is now, that I need to fit it all together..... it dosent, the Track Rod end tapers are too big for my steering arms so I now need to find a pair of TREs that are the right 5/8 thread and the right taper.... I'm not keen on having bespoke parts on consumables, what I need is below, can anybody help with that I need or is there a source that I can use to find what I need.
    20200520_163721.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jag is 5/8 but use quite a large taper.what you could do,is find a end to suit the taper.then put a different thread on the rack ends.

Stuff like Sierra is an M14 thread,so there's enough diameter on a 5/8 end to turn down
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    can't you get the taper in the steering arms reamed bigger to suit the tre's you have? any decent engineering firm should do this.
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The tapers are all the same ,it's where on the 12" that you start that alters the diameter along its 7' taper.

Contact a compamy called Amsteer with details of what you need and they'll more than likley know what fits from stock . If not they can make units to suit . For some reason the cutting tapers have sot up in price. Snap on use dto do one for about £16 but cheapest I've seen are around the £80+ mark now .

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    measure a minor steering arm taper ie depth of arm hole at top hole at bottom bit of school trigonometry you could check angle of taper if you want. wouldn't the critical part be the size of the small end of the tapered hole assuming taper reamer is correct angle, as that would allow the track rod end thread tighten up the same as on a morris minor.
    for some reason at the back of my mind are metric and imperial tapers different?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information