Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Dragging not Bragging vince-305's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpannerPete View Post
    Thanks, I'm clutching at straws as I don't know what else to try.

No steering is light and sort of vague. It doesn't use all the steering box travel to get full steering (I think the box about 5 1/2 turns lock to lock but only uses 3 1/2 turns) It's not too bad at low speeds (30mph) but at 50-60 it drifts about, hard to keep it it a straight line. It's like it's got a mind of its own!
    (not as clued up as Kev) but id say that the light and vague would be due to the length of the arm at the stub being too long (ratio between the 2 lengths) but if you get another arm and shorten it wont that make it worse ????

IMHO Id try and get the angle of the arm correct first

I know its a lot of work but if you look at a lot of rods they have the steering arm (pitman) coming out halfway up the cowl (would mean shortening your column and lengthening the drag link
    Bit'z 'N' Piece's
    Ford consul mk2 chevy powered highrider

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie SpannerPete's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    When it's drifting is it that when it hits bumps or just as you drive along ie is it as bad on say dual carriageways as country roads . You drive another T with a steering box as well?
    I've not tried it out on a bumpy country road, good idea that I'll try that. I've been fighting (and still am) with an engine problem as well so haven't been able to drive it very far, just trying to get both sorted together if I can. Yes I've got another T (green one) that has a land rover box, this drives like a dream. It goes straight on any road surface but the steering is a lot heavier. I would have used a land rover box on the yellow one if I'd had the room but I wanted the engine nearer the firewall (I just hate the big gap!).

Very old photo, the drag link isn't parallel on this either. It was a few years ago now but I seem to remember trying to get the the centre of the drop arm in the middle of the four bar mountings for best results. I now think this is wrong but it seems to work very well!

Quote Originally Posted by vince-305 View Post
    (not as clued up as Kev) but id say that the light and vague would be due to the length of the arm at the stub being too long (ratio between the 2 lengths) but if you get another arm and shorten it wont that make it worse ????

IMHO Id try and get the angle of the arm correct first

I know its a lot of work but if you look at a lot of rods they have the steering arm (pitman) coming out halfway up the cowl (would mean shortening your column and lengthening the drag link
    I did look at cowl steering but I couldn't find a box small enough to go in. I really am fighting for room (manual gear box! Al will be along in to say I told you so soon) but I don't mind doing a lot of work if it gets it right. I know it can be done because my other one is fine but there is a lot of differences. Bigger wheels, narrow tyres, quarter elipticals, friction shocks, steering box.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think there's couple of things going on here .

Next thing to observe and rule out is the angle of the steering rod .Theer may be an issue with the rod changing 'length' as it goes through it's arc of travel but that shouldn't affect straightline driving.

Jack the chassis onto axle stands at the front and undo the quarter elliptic shackles and support the axle at what would be normal relationship to the chassis when on the ground. Set the wheels dead ahead.

Now put a trolley jack under the front beam on the drivers side and jack it up while observing how the road wheel reacts .If it moves out or in this will show the steering arm arc is incorrect. Measure the amount of travel at the wheel hub before /as this happens.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Dragging not Bragging vince-305's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpannerPete View Post
    Yes I've got another T (green one) that has a land rover box, this drives like a dream. It goes straight on any road surface but the steering is a lot heavier.

Very old photo, the drag link isn't parallel on this either.

It looks parallel to the ground to me
    Bit'z 'N' Piece's
    Ford consul mk2 chevy powered highrider

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie SpannerPete's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think there's couple of things going on here .

Next thing to observe and rule out is the angle of the steering rod .Theer may be an issue with the rod changing 'length' as it goes through it's arc of travel but that shouldn't affect straightline driving.

Jack the chassis onto axle stands at the front and undo the quarter elliptic shackles and support the axle at what would be normal relationship to the chassis when on the ground. Set the wheels dead ahead.

Now put a trolley jack under the front beam on the drivers side and jack it up while observing how the road wheel reacts .If it moves out or in this will show the steering arm arc is incorrect. Measure the amount of travel at the wheel hub before /as this happens.
    Kev I think you are right (again)
    I've had another play today. Went for a longer ride, bumpy roads definately a problem with bump steer. I managed to find a flatish A road and it isn't quite as bad as I thought. Although it is bad on a uneven A road! I think the second problem is the transit box is too low ratio (you have to turn it quite a way to get it to react and it is too light)
    Also just to prove the bump steer problem if I hit the gas quite hard it goes in a straight line until I back of to change gear and then it jumps across the road . I had this problem with my other T

I guess it's back to the drawing board, trying to find a different box

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd now alter the steering arm on the box ( after carrying out the observations I mentioned) .
    Vern Tardels book says ratio should be between 0.85:1 and 0.96:1. ie the steering arm spindle should be longer than the pitman arm. I've never known what the ratio should be , going by feel alone and usually end up around 1:1 .

Obviously the smaller the steering wheel the harder to steer hence with around a 14inch wheel I'd aim at 1:1.

Shortening the pitman arm will also alter the arc the steering arms travels hopefully stopping some of the bumpsteer.

The steering side rod position is almost in line with the rear 4 bars so should be good enough. What sort of tyre pressures are you running in the front ?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kapri;

The steering side rod position is almost in line with the rear 4 bars so should be good enough.[/QUOTE]

kev, is one of us looking at the wrong car.??
    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's post 4 on page one . You see the bottom rear mount shares virtually the same axis as the steering arm tre pick up point. As both the 4 bars are parallel the steering arm is intersecting top to bottom, hence my point about steering arm effectively lengthening/shortening as it moved through its arc. Shortening the steering arm would make this less apparent

If its intesection was with a wishbone / hairpin they would both be moving in virtually identical arcs so minimising bumpsteer.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's post 4 on page one . You see the bottom rear mount shares virtually the same axis as the steering arm tre pick up point. As both the 4 bars are parallel the steering arm is intersecting top to bottom, hence my point about steering arm effectively lengthening/shortening as it moved through its arc. Shortening the steering arm would make this less apparent

If its intesection was with a wishbone / hairpin they would both be moving in virtually identical arcs so minimising bumpsteer.
    yep gotcha now, my bad kev i wasnt paying attention.
    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't always get it right , ask Al ! Being asked questions make me check that I have got it right or not. I do suffer brain ****s .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information