Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've no idea Pete but can only talk about ' hands on' with a Mk 1 rather than general theory with Mk 3.

How long is the Pitman arm now and how long is the steering arm spindle to tre hole ?

I'm just wondering as well if it may be some play in the 1/4 elliptics allowing the axle to shift when driving?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie SpannerPete's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    I've no idea Pete but can only talk about ' hands on' with a Mk 1 rather than general theory with Mk 3.

How long is the Pitman arm now and how long is the steering arm spindle to tre hole ?

I'm just wondering as well if it may be some play in the 1/4 elliptics allowing the axle to shift when driving?
    Pitman arm is 135mm Steering arm is 137mm.

It has about 3 1/2 turns lock to lock but it just seems like you have to turn it a long way to do anything! The steering is very light compared to my other T so I'm wondering if I can put an idler in to gear it up (less turns lock to lock) and also put the drag link parallel with the ground to reduce the bump steer?

I did wonder about the springs and if there should be any sideways axle location but all I read suggested not (although it was on the web so it might be wrong)

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hav eyou got a picture of how the chassis end of the 1/4 elliptic is mounted ?

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Hav eyou got a picture of how the chassis end of the 1/4 elliptic is mounted ?

Not sure if it's clear but there are two identical plates, one either side of the spring. At the moment the spring is only supported by the two plates and eye (as per the original Posies bracket that came with the springs) but I am planing on bolting it to the under side chassis using the bolt that holds the spring together.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpannerPete View Post

Not sure if it's clear but there are two identical plates, one either side of the spring. At the moment the spring is only supported by the two plates and eye (as per the original Posies bracket that came with the springs) but I am planing on bolting it to the under side chassis using the bolt that holds the spring together.
    ok, i,m not an expert,[or fan of this type of set up] but what keeps the axle central??
    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by satan View Post
    ok, i,m not an expert,[or fan of this type of set up] but what keeps the axle central??
    The four bars are triangulated so I hope these keep it central but I could be wrong?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The four bars are triangulated so I hope these keep it central but I could be wrong?
    mm, i hopes they might let me back in heaven,,,but i also could be wrong?
    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    There doesn't look like there would be a lot of triangulation in plan view from the dead ahead shot in your post number four. Might be worth seeing what side to side movement of the axle you can generate using a block of wood as a lever between chassis and four bar setup. you should be able to do this with axle stands under the chassis and the axle hanging to avoid having to use a damaging amount of force. BTW, what are the back to back rod ends connected to the axle doing? do you have an anti roll bar on there?
    Stuart.
    My website: Isn't working at the moment
    My Intro

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    friction shocks.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I'm now going with theangle of the swinging shackle as creating a lock out situation making the car react badly to lumpy roads. The 4 bar is holding the axle still but the 1/4 elliptic needs to lengthen under load .

This means the end eye goes up wanting to push the shackle upwards and the axle forwards but it can't as held in a fixed position by the 4 bar. (Using the pic as reference ) If the shackle was leaning back towards the axle , at the working end of the spring ( lower end of the shackle) the spring would be free to provide compliance instead of locking out .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information