Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Dragging not Bragging vince-305's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pete ive just done a google and you may be able to use one of these mounted as per pic

which will put the pitman arm slightly higher (if that makes sense)
    Bit'z 'N' Piece's
    Ford consul mk2 chevy powered highrider

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vince-305 View Post
    Pete ............. I was going to say look at sherpa boxs (But looking at it it looks like transit) as i still feel you may have to raise the box and shorten the column (sorry) to get it on the same plane/plain but with the out put shaft being slightly longer you may be able to make it cowl steer

Side steer steering box - NSRA Forum

there is one other option tho .................. raise the chassis 4 inch's so the arm is level and join me at cloud high
    sherpa box is nearly twice the size of a transit,[i have both on the shelf]
    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    how about 100e see pic,[yeah i know who,s it is ]
    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Dragging not Bragging vince-305's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by satan View Post
    sherpa box is nearly twice the size of a transit,[i have both on the shelf]
    Are they ????.............. i honestly didnt realise they were bigger (that has shocked me)
    Bit'z 'N' Piece's
    Ford consul mk2 chevy powered highrider

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pete.

Have a look for photos of slingshot dragsters, most of them have a steering idler to save having a ridiculously long drag link. I know they're expensive, did you look into an early VW bus box, I've got a dummy one here if you want photos, measurements or need to borrow it.
    How'd the weekend go? Well, at the moment it looks like a dolphin that's been caught in a boats propeller.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie SpannerPete's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the sugestions guys, keep them coming.

While googling I found something interesting and I think the mistake I've made when I original put the box on (18 months ago so it's hard to remember) is that I've tried to get the pivot of the pitman arm in the middle of the two four bar pivots. This may have worked with a wishbone setup because the axle goes through an arc but with a four bar setup the axle moves vertical so the drag link needs to be parallel. Perhaps someone could confirm this?

I'm going to take the transit box off tomorrow and retry all the other boxes I've got (2 types of VW & vega, Yes I tried quite a few). Now I know I'm trying to achieve something different I may have more luck.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like one of the VW bus boxes might do, a few questions if I may.

Just under 3 turns lock to lock so a lot better ratio if I can turn it!

It's going to have to go forward a bit to clear the starter so the drag link is going to end up shorter than the four bars, will this matter?

The pitman arm is shorter than the steering arm 105mm to 137mm, should I make them 1:1? I think I may have to to get enough travel but I thought I'd better ask.

The UJ that joins the box is a very fine spline onto a rubber coupling (not enough room for it to turn against the starter). I seem to remember that's one reason I gave up with this box last time was that I couldn't find a suitable splined UJ. Any ideas on this one?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i,m gonna be blunt here pete, get rid of that rubber joint or your gonna be meeting me sooner than you might want to. please dont be offended, but i woulnt put that on a kids go cart, you need a decent steering shaft with a proper u/j on each end then you will have more chance of lining it all up, put the box in the correct place for the steering,and then when that works ok, work on connecting the steering shaft and wheel to it.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by satan View Post
    i,m gonna be blunt here pete, get rid of that rubber joint or your gonna be meeting me sooner than you might want to. please dont be offended, but i woulnt put that on a kids go cart, you need a decent steering shaft with a proper u/j on each end then you will have more chance of lining it all up, put the box in the correct place for the steering,and then when that works ok, work on connecting the steering shaft and wheel to it.
    Don't worry I'm with you on that but I think you misunderstood my question. Rubber joint no good, need to find a proper UJ with the same very fine spline on it?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpannerPete View Post
    Don't worry I'm with you on that but I think you misunderstood my question. Rubber joint no good, need to find a proper UJ with the same very fine spline on it?
    glad to here that. i just measured a reliant scimitar steering shaft i got here and its[at its widest point] 1,1/2"[app 40mm] wide with a u/j on each end.
    thats only 20mm each side of center, i can post photo,s if needed.
    Last edited by satan; 17-07-2011 at 11:59.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information