Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbos

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are worried about vacuum just fit a diesel alternator with a built in vac pump. These make sense on cammed up engines too.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...Oe6_6jSVk19Gfg

Bob
    I onlay edet to korrect bad smeeling mistaces

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Briz View Post
    Yeah Kev. I think you've answered your own question.

"Vacuum is caused by the restriction of airflow into the engine by the throttle butterfly so vacuum below the throttle plate is available until wide open when pressure vs vacuum equalises as it becomes just an open orifice."

So with no throttle valve, the diesel if effectively at full throttle all the time. Plenty of airflow, but no restriction so therefore no vacuum.
    Same as a petrol engine at WOT.
    Kev, you have. You can control the fuel flow it has the same effect as controlling the air. You need the right quantities of both for your burn.

It is mildly different for diesels and kerosine as they are ignited by heating them to above their auto ignition temperature (nhence no spark) as they do not contain enough lighter hydrocarbons or aromatics that make fuels such as petrol more volatile and easier to ignite.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Although I worked in a Bedfor main dealer when young , rattly smelly old diesels ( of back then) didn't hold any interest for me .Should have paid more attention

With a clearer heaad I can see how it works , simply fuel flow/ quantity controlled by another method.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Although I worked in a Bedfor main dealer when young , rattly smelly old diesels ( of back then) didn't hold any interest for me .Should have paid more attention

With a clearer heaad I can see how it works , simply fuel flow/ quantity controlled by another method.
    Yup

MrF
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was told by a turbo re-manufacturer that diesel turbo's have heavier shaft/impellers and wheel assemblies made from different materials because of the lower egt temperatures encountered in a diesel application, although I've never weighed one side by side or done even a rudimentary spark test on the material for myself to test that statement, maybe someone with a xrf gun and some turbo's handy could cure my nagging doubt on the matter once and for all one day.
    As above, he also said the intake sealing arrangement is a bit different too, although you have to get the seal changed for a carbon seal for draw through use anyway or they suck the oil out the bearings past the seals when you close the throttle suddenly and they experience heavy vacumn.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    So carbon seal fitted, job done. I seen some turbo stuff in Malta at the free drags, these guys are running kin great lorry turbos and jacked up deisel pumps on all sorts of stuff. Avenga tatty as hell, diferent colour panels and stuff, had some kind of piggot dervish turned the propper way round with a stupid big hairdryer bolted on it. When it left the line, it just dissapeared in a cloud of black, then seemed to reapear past the 8th mile instantly! Nuts completely nuts.
    Thanks for imput.
    Martin.

TechnicalTom
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    piggot dervish ???? A Google search is only making things worse LOL. In an earlier reply I mentioned that breakers yards are full of petrol turbos, all shapes and sizes, they are in my" neck of the woods " anyway , another area worth looking at is superchargers.
    they are also plentiful nowadays , belt driven self contained oil resovoir , compact ETC. Mercedes Kompressor (Eaton) units are on E Bay as an example cheapish.
    But going back to your original interest in diesel turbos for road use I assume, i still say smoke would be an issiue , I still think seal swapping is not an easy solution. Their use on Drag machines is another story.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Peugeot diesel, tis what that means. Its not something I'm realy thinking about doing. If I did it'd be a supercharger now there all over the place. If I played with turbos, I'd most likely wog a petrol one. Now I know there different. It was a more "I wounder why they dont just use dervish ones?" Kinda thinking out loud and letting other people hear it (not normaly a good idea, opening my head in public, some weird stuff in there. But it takes a gallon of murky cyder before that bit gets opened.) Got it answered now thanks to all involved.
    Martin.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Martin, do you have some form of Midlands ancestry or lived there ? Just an expression you've used I've only ever heard in that neck of the woods ?

TechnicalTom
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scooder View Post
    Peugeot diesel, tis what that means. Its not something I'm realy thinking about doing. If I did it'd be a supercharger now there all over the place. If I played with turbos, I'd most likely wog a petrol one. Now I know there different. It was a more "I wounder why they dont just use dervish ones?" Kinda thinking out loud and letting other people hear it (not normaly a good idea, opening my head in public, some weird stuff in there. But it takes a gallon of murky cyder before that bit gets opened.) Got it answered now thanks to all involved.
    Martin.
    Slightly more off topic but in my "Itenerant " youth I lived in your area for a while And do know full well the effects of Scrumpy Cider,MUST GIVE IT A TRY next time I need my head filled with weird stuff LOL. This has been an interesting thread. By the way I have 20+ Turbos +a few superchargers in my workshop collected over the years , even have a mint blower from a Commer TS3 .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information