Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Turbos

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Injection does make life easier and also you can do some electromechanical overcoming of timing and richening issues if you are not going for mega boost. On my car I'm only looking for around 7lb / 50% power increase so achievable without spending too much.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

MrF
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scooder View Post
    Thinking out loud here, Ignition retard when under pressure. I know there are bits of kit out there that retard the spark a certain amount per a certain amount of pressure. Could you not use a vacuum can on the dizzy, tapped to the inlet manifold after the turbo or supercharger, to achieve the same sort of thing? I.E. you could recurve the dizzy so its correct under boost for maximum power in these times, and use the vacuum can to pull the advance up for good light load (no boost so inlet in a state of vacuum) when cruising, Then when you give it some beans, the vacuum in the inlet disapears and in turn the extra advance (for econamy and good throttle responce in light load) falls off to nothing, Back to your power curve? This is what the vacuum can is ment to do in natrualy asperated engines. Except they obviously dont see any boost, they see vacuum or no vacuum. But a recurve to shorten And maybe slow down, the centrifugal advance for boost.
    In my head that should work surely?
    Again thanks for all your imput chaps, A good discution.
    Martin.
    As a halfway house between efi and manual advance, have you seen these?
    Megajolt/E | Autosport Labs
    Its based sort of around the same stuff as the megasquirt efi controllers, but is just for spark control. Theres some msd units that do the same for more money available too. You would need a edis8 module and coil pack too, and to add a crank sensor of course. By which time I'd just add a fuel pump and injectors and use a megasquirt and make it efi, but thats me

You know as well that lpg is much higher octane than 98, and will tolerate a bit more boost and a bit more advance as a result, I know of someone on here that runs it with a blown engine for that reason. Theres some guy called niels of sarloos.net that combined efi with lpg and had a biggas lpg port injection system controlled by a megasquirt, thats a pretty streetable setup.
    BiGas LPG injection with Megasquirt

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm running LPG as well and decided to take advantage of that extra octane They are big into standalone lpg turbo set ups in Australia.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    yup , I have megasquirt on my 250 bhp a series mini , I like it !

yes mr f , I still have my dyno , now running on some much better software .

re lpg , it needs more advance at low rpm,and less at high rpm . eg on my astra with a 1.4 8 valve turbo engine . I run 15 degrees tickover instead of 10 ,and 26 degrees top end instead of 32 . that on only 5.5 psi boost .
    on my courier van 2 litre 8 valve , I ran 18 degrees tickover instead of 10 ,and 28 degrees at max instead of 34 . that was nat asp 10.5:1 cr and fast rd cam 145 bhp

regards robert

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information