Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Tyre ratings for 'historic' vehicle?

OK, need to get some tyres for the Falcon Ranchero. It has 13" wheels and there isn't room for anything bigger than 185/80-13 - it's not worth spending two hundred quid a corner for BFG whitewalls so I'm sticking with radials . . . but . . . should I be fitting commercial/van type tyres? I'd prefer to use some Maxxis narrow whitewall tyres, with a rating of 90S I think, which should be well within its operating limits, but don't want to be hauled up at the MOT.

Thoughts? Facts?
    Screw EU

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always err on the safe side And try to either match or exceed the original tyre. It isn't just MOT that can be an issue - if you were to have a prang then the insurance can refuse to pay out or invalidate your policy if the tyres don't at least match OE spec (speed and weight rating). Then there is always the eagle-eyed ****stable....

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The factory service manual lists tyre pressures for the Ranchero having 6.50-13 4ply and having 6.50-13 6ply ones - the 4ply tyres being the same as the Falcon passenger car, so I guess most modern car tyres meet or exceed them. Kerb weight is 2500lbs but I haven't found the load capacity yet.

Same question must apply to all those '50s and '60s pickups with blingy wheels and rubber band car tyres!
    Screw EU

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's still almost a 25" overall diameter - you could get some blingy big wheels and rubber band tyres under there!

Back to being sensible and in response to the matter of low profile tyres - there are so many larger vehicles fitted with 18's upwards that it is pretty easy to pick up a tyre with an appropriate rating. Where people go wrong a lot is only looking to replace like for like on size, not ratings too (I imagine because of cost) I spent a fair bit of time looking for 18" tyres to go on my C10.

I'm Guessing that the 185/80-13 wasn't a lucky guess, being as it's the equivalent of the 6.50x13 size-wise

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well it arrived with (knackered) 185/80-13s so that gave me a head start! I had thought of going for 14" wheels but as things are tight in the rear I would have just been buying new steel wheels as well as new tyres - skinny 14" mags don't seem to be very common so I've found some 13" x 5-1/2" E-T slot mags that just fit. For the time being I'll be happy with looking like something that could have been driving around in the Streets of San Francisco in the '70s
    Screw EU

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information