v6 rev counter to v8 help
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

 
Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie F-THIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    nelson. lancs
    Posts
    297
    Images
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    F-THIS is offline

    v6 rev counter to v8 help

    hi guys wanted to use some clocks from a jag but the rev counter is from a
    v6 as i am running a v8 how can i convert it to run on v8 if this can be done. i would be most greatful for any help manys thanks
    [ WINNERS NEVER QUIT AND QUITTERS NEVER WIN.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    My name is Martin 30psi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Hornchurch, Essex
    Posts
    2,495
    Images
    9
    Post Thanks / Like
    30psi is offline
    You can buy something like this:

    http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd127.htm

    Some people have made their own, but unless you're a bit of a geek it's probably not the easiest thing to get right.

  4. #3
    Official RnS Addict
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Walsall
    Posts
    681
    Images
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Adey is offline
    the conversion only requires a change in the capacitor on the clock, if you google it it may come up with the valve you need to change to

  5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Semi Proffessional Prat sidspop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    YamYam central
    Posts
    3,489
    Images
    453
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    74
    sidspop is offline
    Or possibly change the face?
    Does it work on an 8, but read too much?

  7. #5
    Official RnS Addict UK RUSS 1960 OLDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    HUNTINGDON UK
    Posts
    11,239
    Images
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    10317
    UK RUSS 1960 OLDS is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by sidspop View Post
    Or possibly change the face?
    Does it work on an 8, but read too much?

    Hi Sid,

    In my experience they work , but as you say read too much, in fact should be a third (33%) too much as an example a true
    1500 = 2000
    3000 = 4000
    4500 = 6000
    6000 = 8000

    Which is where you may have a problem (i am assuming we are talking XJ6/40 rev counter here) as if i remember correctly the jag rev counter only goes up to 5500 which would only allow you a true RPM of approx 4200. If it is an early smiths/jaeger dial you may find it has got a plastic potentiometer inside (normally accessed via a plastic/rubber bung on the back of the instrument/dial you can use this to adjust the reading of the rev counter.


    Sid,

    Are you anywhere near Andy Frost's place

    My mate is going up there Saturday am (i may also be going with him) but if you still need it i can send the Consul starter motor up with him, assuming Andy doesn't mind holding it until you collect. Just a thought.

    Cheers.

    Russ.

  8. #6
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie F-THIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    nelson. lancs
    Posts
    297
    Images
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    F-THIS is offline

    rev counter

    :
    Quote Originally Posted by UK RUSS 1960 OLDS View Post
    Hi Sid,

    In my experience they work , but as you say read too much, in fact should be a third (33%) too much as an example a true
    1500 = 2000
    3000 = 4000
    4500 = 6000
    6000 = 8000

    Which is where you may have a problem (i am assuming we are talking XJ6/40 rev counter here) as if i remember correctly the jag rev counter only goes up to 5500 which would only allow you a true RPM of approx 4200. If it is an early smiths/jaeger dial you may find it has got a plastic potentiometer inside (normally accessed via a plastic/rubber bung on the back of the instrument/dial you can use this to adjust the reading of the rev counter.


    the clocks are from a series two xj6 i think but will check in morning in garage the rev counter does go upto 5500 thanks for you help

    Sid,

    Are you anywhere near Andy Frost's place

    My mate is going up there Saturday am (i may also be going with him) but if you still need it i can send the Consul starter motor up with him, assuming Andy doesn't mind holding it until you collect. Just a thought.

    Cheers.

    Russ.
    [ WINNERS NEVER QUIT AND QUITTERS NEVER WIN.

  9. #7
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie F-THIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    nelson. lancs
    Posts
    297
    Images
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    F-THIS is offline

    rev counter

    Quote Originally Posted by sidspop View Post
    Or possibly change the face?
    Does it work on an 8, but read too much?
    have not tried yet truck still in progress but the clocks are in very good condition and would like to fit in my 56 f100 somthing like in the picture cheers
    Attached Images
    [ WINNERS NEVER QUIT AND QUITTERS NEVER WIN.

  10. #8
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie F-THIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    nelson. lancs
    Posts
    297
    Images
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    F-THIS is offline

    rev counter

    Quote Originally Posted by 30psi View Post
    You can buy something like this:

    http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd127.htm

    Some people have made their own, but unless you're a bit of a geek it's probably not the easiest thing to get right.
    cheers
    [ WINNERS NEVER QUIT AND QUITTERS NEVER WIN.

  11. #9
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie F-THIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    nelson. lancs
    Posts
    297
    Images
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    F-THIS is offline

    rev counter

    Quote Originally Posted by Adey View Post
    the conversion only requires a change in the capacitor on the clock, if you google it it may come up with the valve you need to change to
    adrain tried but no luck mate you said you were going to have a look for me, how about the cobra boys they use the clocks a lot with v8s hope to hear from you soon mate
    [ WINNERS NEVER QUIT AND QUITTERS NEVER WIN.

  12. #10
    Official RnS Addict UK RUSS 1960 OLDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    HUNTINGDON UK
    Posts
    11,239
    Images
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    10317
    UK RUSS 1960 OLDS is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by F-THIS View Post
    adrain tried but no luck mate you said you were going to have a look for me, how about the cobra boys they use the clocks a lot with v8s hope to hear from you soon mate

    Hi F-THIS,

    Looking at your dash, am i right in assuming you are going to be using Series 2/3 XJ6 /XJ40 dials

    Early Triumph Stag dials would do it and look nice (the late ones look sh1t).

    Cheers.

    Russ.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. 2" Moon rev counter
      By Gasolinescream in forum Stuff - WANTED
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 12-02-2010, 19:34
    2. WHEELS..10 x 15s.. US.Ford...and Rev Counter....
      By BRIT DIGGER in forum Stuff - WANTED
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 18-01-2010, 10:40
    3. Wiring an Autometer Rev counter ?
      By Tarmac Tanner in forum Tech Discussion
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 28-09-2009, 16:39
    4. rev counter settings
      By vin likes diesel in forum Tech Discussion
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 13-06-2009, 08:50
    5. Rev counter, Hot Rod book & magazines
      By Special When Lit in forum Stuff - FOR SALE
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 12-06-2009, 18:33

    Tags for this Thread

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may post new threads
    • You may post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •