Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

v8 cf column change?

Hi, planning a bedford cf v8 transplant but want to either column (preferred) or dash mount the auto shift, anyone done this or have any suggestions? Also, with regard to the on going cf final drive discussion, my cf has an overdrive, is there any reason why this could not be fitted behind an auto box? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    For ideas on the column change, look for pics of Lokar column shift cable set up. Get one of those or copy the idea, its up to you. The Overdrive could be fitted behind the auto, asuming its a Laycock type,Some of them wer suprisingly strong, but would take some engineering to sort. Maybe look into fitting it as a seperate stand alone chap. Gear vendors do a Laycock type overdrive convertion that replaces the tail shaft of the box, deer though. I think your best bet is a change in axle ratio, With a torquey V8 in a littel CF with its relitivy small wheels, you should be looking in the 3.00 area, like Capri 2.8 axle. Thats a 3.08. With your current axle and overdrive, it would feel all wrong. Youd zip through the gears in a blink, and then have overdrive. You cant just run the overdrive all the time to compensate for a screamy axle ratio. The overdrive would eat itself in no time. To much torque in the low gears. An Over drive is to be used as an extra gear for cruising. Not for making up a very wrong axle ratio.
    Bite the bullet and get the right axle ratio.
    Martin.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you can find one a Cresda diff can be fitted into a CF axle.....
    "…si quid habet mammas vel rotas, res habebis difficiles aliquando,"
    "Carpe diem" -Quintus Horatius Flaccus (65 BC – 8 BC).

What Would the Dude Do?

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, Lokar definitely seems the way to go for the shift. There is a cresta rear axle on ebay, he wants £250 is that fair price? I`ve got no Idea!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Surely that sort of wedge, your into Yank axles. 8.8 Mustang n stuff. They be bullet proof by all acounts. But its your wedge mate, do you want to swap diffs or frig about mounting a different axle? I have no experiance on these GM rears, so I cant tell you it will swap. But its ment to as above said.
    Martin.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem is width........ even a Transit axle is not as wide as a CF.... Even a Yank car back axle would be lost under a CF BUT if you were fitting wide rear wheels a Cresta axle fitted would allow 8.5X15 wheels with no arch problems.
    Have a measure up then go looking.
    By the way there is a CF with a Transit axle running a Zodiac diff and a blown Chrysler running about and that seems to work.
    "…si quid habet mammas vel rotas, res habebis difficiles aliquando,"
    "Carpe diem" -Quintus Horatius Flaccus (65 BC – 8 BC).

What Would the Dude Do?

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi the Cresta axle on ebay is overpriced thats why its been on there for ages, try looking at volvo axles i e 240 / 740 they are strong and high ratio all you need to do is have mountings welded on. cheers Dave.

Worn Out Fanny Magnet. Mike Hunt's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    A Rover 3.5 V8 SD1 Axle has a Ratio of around 3.08:1, and when slung under a bedford CF, allows 265 Tyres to fit perfectly, without any Wheelarch Modifications, and also looks great from behind !!. Wheels are obviously then dead easy to source, as you use the Rover 5 Stud PCD.
    I want to Die Peacefully in my Sleep like my Dad, not Screaming like the other Passengers on his Bus !!.

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the input, I`d like to keep the original axle as I want to run standard (although banded 1") wheels for a street sleeper/resto look.I`ve emailed the cresta axle seller to see if he will split it, fingers crossed but I`m not holding my breath. On the upside I have sourced a beemer zf 4hp-22 box and already have the rr bellhousing and tc. All this knowledge is newly gained from RnS`s forum, and I`m very grateful, I`d have probably got there in the end but the expensive and long way round, thanks again.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i ran a mopar b body axle in mine with a 318 ci i cut the inner arches and widened them inside and fitted 1 inch spacers with longer studs. on an earlier cf i used a jag irs which was just the right width

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information