Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    I'm a grown up member now ! Disco Stew's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

V8 Discovery as donor vehicle

I've been looking around for a cheap V8 donor vehicle and rusty Discoverys look like good value. My question is, can you use the gearbox in a rear wheel drive car or would I need an alternative?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you search around the "garage" section there's a thread by a chap who mounted a Ford F100 truck body onto a stock Range Rover chassis. It looked pretty good and if I remember right he kept the 4 X 4. Now i don't know how similar the Range Rover and Discovery chassis are but it should be some usefull reference material.

(sorry can't find the actual thread right now but if I find it later I'll post the link here)

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    from memory, the 'classic' range rover, series 1 & possibly series 2 (td5) disco's are the same chassis (the td5 normally has air suspension on rear axle, but can also get coil spring conversion if it fails, which is common) ... 100" wheelbase (from memory) & not to be confused with the seies 2b forward control chassis.
    if you wanted to put the engine & transmission into another vehicle, you'd need to have the transfer box modified to just 2wd & you can have it locked in high range as a cheaper option to having new gears fitted.
    depending on the condition of the disco chassis, then i'd agree that doing a body swap (if pickup or van) would probably be the easier option.
    if it's to go in a car, then do away with the disco trans & as the 3.5 is still the faithfull old v8, you can pick up the sd1 transmissions or adaptor plates/bell housings to fit other tansmossions

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    the 5 speed manual is basically an sd1 box with a transfer case on the back so needs a tail housing/shaft change. the 4 speed auto is a zf again with a transfer case. apparently the rover bellhousing and convertor bolt up to a jag (rear drive) zf box so ok there too.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    wasn't the earlier classic range rover 3sp auto the chrysler torqueflight 727?

or am i thinking of something else?

I'm a grown up member now ! Disco Stew's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    the 5 speed manual is basically an sd1 box with a transfer case on the back so needs a tail housing/shaft change. the 4 speed auto is a zf again with a transfer case. apparently the rover bellhousing and convertor bolt up to a jag (rear drive) zf box so ok there too.
    Thanks, that is really useful. I was thinking about just using the engine and box so if you can swap some bits to make it a normal 2wd 5 speed, that could be a way forward.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco Stew View Post
    Thanks, that is really useful. I was thinking about just using the engine and box so if you can swap some bits to make it a normal 2wd 5 speed, that could be a way forward.
    Is it not the LT77 box thats a standard sd1 5 speed that will bolt straight onto the rover v8? Had one in my zephyr behind a 3.5. You can go the route of using a tvr bell-housing and using a sierra borg warner T5 gearbox, but as i found out, this works out to be a more expensive option!

Marc

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The RR bell housing is a lot deeper and the flywheels are a lot heavier (low revving mud plugging torque) and I believe that you can unbolt the transfer box and get a yoke thingy that will allow you to bolt up to it (plus they have a 10 1.2" clutch). R380 boxes were also used. If your gonn go down this route it'll probably be cheaper to get an SD1 or sherpa box if you wanna 5 speed. If not worried about cruising speeds get a P6 4 speed, better acceleration........

Official RnS Addict streetfighter's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by asp383 View Post
    wasn't the earlier classic range rover 3sp auto the chrysler torqueflight 727?

or am i thinking of something else?
    for some reason the 3 speed in the range rover isn't a very good box, the 4 speed is much better. I am the guy who's thread is the f100 onto range rover, this was achieved using an LSE classic range rover, they are 8inch longer than a normal range rover, also comes with air suspension and this one came with the much stronger 4.2 v8 engine.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information