Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: V8'S on gas?

Official RnS Addict hillbilly blanco's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

V8'S on gas?

whats the downside to running a v8 rod on lpg? if its a daily not mad performance lump?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ran the Thames on gas and the only problem I had was that the float bowls collapsed on the edlebrock carb, holmsey had exactly the same problem. and only noticed when run out of gas and wanted to run on petrol!
    Apart from that I had no problems.
    I did intend to run it forever as a dai;ly but sold it, was planning to do the chevy truck but the kit was around 800 quid and you need to do a lot of miles to save that back.
    Although our forklift maintenance guy has coverted 2 vans using forklift carbs with sucess and the parts came to around 200 quid each.... ony diadvantage on that is he is gas only...no petrol, but the gas carbs are even better than the other conversions as they are a no compromise gas fitting only!
    Might look at that later.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by digger View Post
    I ran the Thames on gas and the only problem I had was that the float bowls collapsed on the edlebrock carb, holmsey had exactly the same problem. and only noticed when run out of gas and wanted to run on petrol!
    Apart from that I had no problems.
    I did intend to run it forever as a dai;ly but sold it, was planning to do the chevy truck but the kit was around 800 quid and you need to do a lot of miles to save that back.
    Although our forklift maintenance guy has coverted 2 vans using forklift carbs with sucess and the parts came to around 200 quid each.... ony diadvantage on that is he is gas only...no petrol, but the gas carbs are even better than the other conversions as they are a no compromise gas fitting only!
    Might look at that later.
    Be good to hear what you find out.
    I have a friend with a breakers that gets v8 landrovers and other high end prestige cars that are old and undesirable but often on gas.
    He has told my if i remove i can have as many kits as i like at £50 a pop..

Not given me the price on any engines yet though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Couple of guys I knew bought a 1960's yank station wagon that originated from Holland. (I think that Holland was one of the early suppliers of lpg conversions in cars) They bought this Chevy wagon about 25 years ago when petrol was more affordable so they didn't have a need to use the gas. They were not aware that the car still had gas in the tank and kept feeling ill when using the car - the reason why? the tank which was under the rear floor of the wagon had a leaking valve, consequently filling the interior of the car up with gas (being heavier than air) from the bottom of the car upwards! I wonder what would have happened if they were smokers and had lit -up a cigarette?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscobbc View Post
    Couple of guys I knew bought a 1960's yank station wagon that originated from Holland. (I think that Holland was one of the early suppliers of lpg conversions in cars) They bought this Chevy wagon about 25 years ago when petrol was more affordable so they didn't have a need to use the gas. They were not aware that the car still had gas in the tank and kept feeling ill when using the car - the reason why? the tank which was under the rear floor of the wagon had a leaking valve, consequently filling the interior of the car up with gas (being heavier than air) from the bottom of the car upwards! I wonder what would have happened if they were smokers and had lit -up a cigarette?
    bad news that, luckily i plan to have my tank outside the vehicle so wouldnt be a problem for me. If it comes off.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    it is very important to vent the tanks to the outside if fitted in the vehicle, mine was inside and vented correctly.

the is a code of practiceif fitting yourself and you should have it checked by a proffesional, some insurance companys will want to to the pass certificate.
    I had mine checked even though the insurance did'nt want it, about 80 quid.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The lpg is also a very searching fuel and will find any problem in your ignition system so dont use cheap parts. If it runs lean, particulaly on single point systems, it also has a chance to backfire and maybe causing damage to airbox or other inline parts. If your is injection then i would fit a blow back valve to save wrecking your AFM as i did it with my 3.9i Disco. Aslong as you use decent ignition parts, try not let it run out or run lean, then i would go for it. As already said, your insurance company will want a cert for it but if you self instal, most places will check it over for you and if ok will issue you one for around £40 ish.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ive just read above, lol. I got quoted £40 for a cert but that was 5 years ago and i live in Durham so different companies will charge different prices. My insurance companies all wanted a cert but maybe worth checking first.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dave holmes (uk hotrods, holmsey) has LPG on his truck. From what I have read he had a few probs but now all sorted.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Channel Tunnel had a ban on LPG fueled vehicles - I think it was lifted though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information