Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Vacuum Wipers Help ??

Hi Guys

Anybody on here have much experience of vacuum wipers ?

I have never had anything like it before and dont know where to start

I have a 50's ford the wipers sweep up probably 3/4 of there travel and then stop, when you turn the wipers off they return to the rest position
    straight away with a slight air noise from under the dash the hoses appear nearly new but must have been replaced as they have new jubilee clips on what I can see ??

Any ideas ? any experts to call or take it too??

Thanks in advance

Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    work off manifold vacuum,when you floor it they stop! take your foot off the gas and they work again,make sure all connections are free of leaks. Had them on my 55 chevy.
    There's no replacement for displacement.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike
    So do think the fact they move at all means I need to find stronger vacuum source ??

I think I will replace the hoses anyway ??

Funny MY 55 had electric wipers LOL

Hope all is good with you in the sun

Thanks
    Dave

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    might be a good idea to pull the motor and check for leaks,take the vacuum source straight off the intake manifold with smallest diameter hoses.
    There's no replacement for displacement.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    They work off the inlet manifold vacuum as said. trico vacuum wiper motors have a paddle inside which sweeps a near semicircle and then sweeps back again; this happens because a valve changes which side of the paddle sees the manifold's vacuum as the paddle sweeps across. The spindle is attached to this paddle and gives the back and forth motion when it's working properly. It sounds like the valve may be sticking in your motor.

You could repair or rebuild it, but as Mikeyboy says, the wipers slow down as you speed up, not great on our crowded roads. I changed the vacuum motor for a two speed electric one on my '50 Chevy truck. Unless originality is important to you, it would be worth you upgrading to electric wipers IMO.
    Stuart.
    My website: Isn't working at the moment
    My Intro

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    classic american mag did a feature on re building vac wiper motors a few months back, not much to them, and you can buy re build kits in states, might aswell put your arm out the side window for as much use as they are, easy to fix once stripped

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    What 50's Ford is it? Does it have a vacuum pump on the bottom of the fuel pump? I've had a bunch of vac wiper stuff, and if it has the vac pump, if this pump is there and working, they work well. Dont stop when you floor it, or go up hills, as the pump takes over when the inlet vac stops. You should be able to manualy move the wipers through there full travel, with the engine off. If they dont or get tight, youll need to investigate why. If the pipes on the vac pump (if fitted) are the wrong way round, this can make them stop half way through there travel. Try pulling the pipe off the wipermotor and spray some WD40 in the motor throught the hole, and work the wipers to and frow. This can unstick the valve in side, aswell as making the wipers work better. The hiss under the dash does point to a stuck valve, so give the spray a go, see if it fixes them.
    Martin.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know some Pops use a vaccum storage tank which is replenished off the inlet manifold. Its a 'bomb' shaped thing about 9" long if my memory serves me well. On my Jago Jeep ( Willys MB ) replica I use hand operated wipers and 'Rainex' spray which work reasonably well.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scooder View Post
    What 50's Ford is it? Does it have a vacuum pump on the bottom of the fuel pump? I've had a bunch of vac wiper stuff, and if it has the vac pump, if this pump is there and working, they work well. Dont stop when you floor it, or go up hills, as the pump takes over when the inlet vac stops. You should be able to manualy move the wipers through there full travel, with the engine off. If they dont or get tight, youll need to investigate why. If the pipes on the vac pump (if fitted) are the wrong way round, this can make them stop half way through there travel. Try pulling the pipe off the wipermotor and spray some WD40 in the motor throught the hole, and work the wipers to and frow. This can unstick the valve in side, aswell as making the wipers work better. The hiss under the dash does point to a stuck valve, so give the spray a go, see if it fixes them.
    Martin.
    Thanks Martin
    The line runs from the inlet to what must be the pump on top of the fuel pump then to the wiper motor, tried switching round the lines and had nothing so they must be the right way round
    the hoses from the engine bay to the wiper motor seem brittle so will replace them tomorrow and give the wd40 a go.

Would like to stay original if possible as the car is totally stock and very nice

Thanks to everyone for the advise

Dave

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had one on a 55 Cadillac early part of the year, took it apart and cleaned all the crap that gets sucked in to it, wiped a bit of ATF inside it to help the paddle run smoother and put it back together, worked very well after that. There is a place, near New York i think, that rebuilds them but its worth giving it a clean out first as more often than not its all they need.
    Looking for a 50s car, Cadillac, Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Chevy, cash waiting. Message me or call 07836 349356

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information