Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Valve cover baffles and bolts??

5K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  C10apache 
#1 ·
Hi do I have to install the baffles in my valve covers?? The screws supplied are like butter, screw heads minced already,

Also I need longer bolts anybody know the thread size for a 350sbc head??

Regards Stuart

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
The cover bolts are 1/4 UNC and not the same as 6mm, the baffle bolts on mine were a self tapping type thing with spring washers, I also used loctite on them. Don't do the valve cover bolts up too tight either or they tend to leak. Why do you need longer bolts?
Edited, the baffle bolts may even have been phillips head self tapping screws, will try and check. Oh and yes you should fit the baffles or it'll piss oil out of the breathers

#9 ·
The PCV should be OK but assuming the oil fill cap has vent holes underneath then it'll fill with oil and leak over the cover. You need some sort of breather or the crankcase will pressurise and possibly blow a seal or gasket, I'd persevere and fit them, did you fit the washers and if so can you carefully drill the holes a bit deeper?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.