What do I need to set the camber and toe at home?
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

What do I need to set the camber and toe at home?

I need to get the front suspension set up well enough to drive to the MOT station on Saturday.

As there does not appear to be anyone capable in Chelmsford of setting up a Camaro looks like I am going to have to do it myself.

So.... What tools do I need and how do I do it!

Also what settings should I be looking at as a good start?

Help, as always, gratefully received.

P.
    Only those who will risk going too far...can possibly find out how far one can go." T S Elliot

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Dragging not Bragging vince-305's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Angle finder, tape measure and some spanners mate

At ride height

0 degree camber (taken from the rim or brake disc top to bottom)
    3-7 degrees caster (imaginary line through the top and bottom ball joint leaning backwards towards the bulkhead at the top)
    1/8th (3mm)ish toe in (measure the distance between the rim at the front and rear of the wheel)

Never owned a yank but these are what id set it too just to get it usable ............... hope there close enough
    Last edited by vince-305; 23-08-2011 at 23:12.
    Bit'z 'N' Piece's
    Ford consul mk2 chevy powered highrider

Dragging not Bragging vince-305's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if its adjustable but there is also anti dive which is the angle the upper wish bone sits at (higher at the front than rear ...around 8-10 degrees)

If you have no angle finder you can use a meter long spirit level ............ 1 degree is 17.5 mm over a mtr
    Last edited by vince-305; 23-08-2011 at 23:14.
    Bit'z 'N' Piece's
    Ford consul mk2 chevy powered highrider

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Semi Proffessional Prat sidspop's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Paul, plenty of videos on You Tube. One uses two axle stands and a length of fishing line to give straight line down car, at centre of hub height. Measure from line to front rim at front and rear.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    get the car sat level at the correct ride height and use this Hand Held ANGLE FINDER OR INDICATORS ( Find any Angle) | eBay to set the camber and castor.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    lycra, ooh sorry thought you said "how do i get camel toe at home"?
    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Gentlemen.

Trying to find the Herb Adams specs but failing so will make do with what I have found.

Sid, do you have any video in mind? There are lots but none that really explain it or at least the one I could find.

P.
    Only those who will risk going too far...can possibly find out how far one can go." T S Elliot

Exceeded sell by date Plumpcars's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paul just set it to factory spec at present and that will get you on the road. As you know I can't find my bloody Herb Adams book but be wary of some race car settings...they dont all work on the road. As an example race cars will sometimes use toe out to get quicker turn in. Adjustment of camber and caster is by shims on the upper wishbone. You can adjust the camber without adjusting caster by adding or subtracting equal shims from both fore and aft. Caster adjustment is on the rear shim pack but you will struggle with this. We used to set it on the ground many years back using a 20 degree turning gauge for the really big stuff that would not fit onto our ramp. Toe I have set at home using measurements across the front rims and camber can be done closely with an angle gauge as was said earlier. Vince is close in his settings but you will be looking for 2 degree caster and probably only get 1. This could also be affected by the way the clip was welded into your chassis.
    I would check camber and toe in and then drive it without messing with the caster shims. See what it does. Caster will help steering wheel feedback out of turns and if caster is to low it will be nervous at speed.
    You will need adjustment shims to get the job done as well as dead level ground.
    I'm surprised how many people do not bother with a proper geometry adjustment on their cars as it really does make so much difference. (Not aimed at you by the way!) My 55 was set up recently using some mods to the geometry and the difference is 'night and day'.

Exceeded sell by date Plumpcars's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just remembered. Nige on here used some race settings on his Camaro and it didn't work too well on the street. He played with it and got it right. PM him if he doesn't see this thread?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Steve!

Found these specs on the web for a Z28 so going to try these and see where it goes.

Camber: 2-3.5 degrees negative
    Caster: 2-3 degrees positive
    Toe: 1/16 - 1/8 toe out.

P.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information