Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

What engine in a Puddlejumper?

Thanks to everybody who replied to "998 in a Puddlejumper". I think I have moved on and it looks like the Anglia lump is going back on ebay soon. I have been very interested in the different engine options suggested by those of you who have done the conversion such as Spitfire/MG 1275, 1500, Morris Minor. Now I am looking around for a suitable engine and box and these seem to come along seperately. What fits what? I saw an old Morris 8 engine and box and it looks so neat it would fit in anything but its 3 speed. What about 1300 Marina engine and box? Would a marina box fit on a Spitfire 1500 motor? I think a sound Triumph engine would be good. What Triumph engines could I look for at the breakers that would also fit snugly into the Prefect without need to cut and shut the chassis? What about carb(s)? I have never set up twin SU's. I know a guy who has a field, well a big back garden, full of old Dolomites and similar cars. maybe I could try and get something from him. All suggestions and tales from the garage much appreciated. Cheers, Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's simplest to try and buy an engine and box together from one motor so as not to have compatability issues. The Herald 13/60 is the same engine as Spitfire but with a single carb and makes just on 60bhp and gives 40mpg ( hands on experience )

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw this and thought THE PUDDLE JUMPER was back, that has a Jag V12, where is it now? Did like that and once belonged to a friend of mine back in the mid to late 80's. He bought it in bits and not running, got it all going and threw a pair of either holley's or predator carbs on a specially made inlet manifold for it, ran it for a while and then sold it on and bought Rubellion again all in bits and did the same thing with that, I think that was the last time Rubellion had the supercharger on it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

JC.
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    1300 Marina engine is near as makes no difference the same as a 1275 midget.

O series would be worth a look. With the right engine back plate you could use an MGB overdrive gearbox or an LT77 if you've got the room? The O series would pave the way for a T series at a later date too?
    -JC.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Spitfire/Herald/late Midget motors are fine, as is the Marina 1300, but they're old motors now and finding a good one at a reasonable price might be a struggle. What about using a Ford Zetec or Vauxhall XE or Ecotec, more power, better fuel economy, loads of good motors still in the breakers. If you don't buy a conversion kit from one of the usual suspects, you'll need a fair chunk of the donor car's wiring loom as well as the ECU, and there is no doubt that getting the electronics wired in to your can be a PITA/take a bit of time. Adapter bellhousings are available for most modern motors to hang a ford 5 speed type 9 box on the back so that they're OK for RWD.
    Last edited by stueeee; 19-09-2011 at 16:44. Reason: typo
    Stuart.
    My website: Isn't working at the moment
    My Intro

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    GB Sportscars in Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire breaks Spitfires and I think a few MGs. He may have an engine & box. It's a few years since I was there (used to restore Spitfires in a previous life) but if I remember correctly the guy's name is Richard. the phone number is 01525 378078.

The 1500cc is a good engine and comes with an overdrive box also. Twin SUs are relatively easy to get the basic set up, just wind the jets all the way down and back up half way; then it should start OK, fine tuning is just fiddling until you get it right.
    Money talks; unfortunately mine just says "goodbye"

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of Pops have been fitted with the Ford Crossflow which is almost designed for the job. Light, compact, quite powerful for it's size (90bhp 1600GT version), still fairly easy to find, cheap to buy and tune, and can be rebuilt in an hour while wearing a blindfold. Also in its favour is the fact that the exhaust manifold is on the nearside of the engine, so no problems with clearance for the steering gear. I had a 1600 in my Pop and with a Sierra 5-speed it would do 38mpg on a motorway run cruising at 75-80mph. I'm sure there would be lots of poeple on the forum willing to help with experience of the crossflow.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stilltrying View Post
    i saw this and thought the puddle jumper was back, that has a jag v12, where is it now? Did like that and once belonged to a friend of mine back in the mid to late 80's. He bought it in bits and not running, got it all going and threw a pair of either holley's or predator carbs on a specially made inlet manifold for it, ran it for a while and then sold it on and bought rubellion again all in bits and did the same thing with that, i think that was the last time rubellion had the supercharger on it.
    theres been a rumour for a long time that it is sitting in a garage in wickford, essex...
    "IF IT WASN'T FOR THE HISTORY WE WOULDN'T HAVE A PAST".....
    HUNDREDS OF RODDING MAGZ ALWAYS 4 SALE, PM ME YOUR WANTED LIST...
    CHECKOUT MY LATEST MAGZ ETC
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/hotrodmags/

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would like to find out if it is, couldn't afford it at the moment due to other projects but would consider a swap if the owner wants rid. That's if anyone knows for sure obviously.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I gotta say I find yours, and all other similar suggestions and there are a few, too good to ignore. If I can get a Herald 13/60 engine and box into my Prefect without moving the centre cross member and therefore keep my original reg and I assume its eventual historic vehicle status I will be a very happy weazel. I never knew what those hyphenated number designations meant and never asked but I think I have just been told.
    While I look for a suitable lump I will get on with the bodywork, fitting 39 Prefect front end to the 53 Prefect - I feel another thread coming on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information