Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  1
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Welding Guru
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Some great advice here, you would be amazed how many air bubbles keep appearing during bench bleeding, just a couple in the lines is enough to cause issues.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

dek
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    cheers guys will see how it goes tomorrow weather permitting

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has it got any type of brake compensator fitted? if so has it got a bleed screw fitted? if so bleed it, try clamping brake flexys one at a time, and rechecking the pedal until all four clamped, does it make any difference. make sure shoes are correctly adjusted aswel.
    If quitters never win, and winners never cheat, then who is the fool who said "Quit while you're ahead"

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    As above making sure the shoes are adjusted is the first port of call ,plus bleeding with handbrake off . The further the shoes are away from the drums the more fluid will be moved by the m/c before it actually starts to move the shoes themselves.

dek
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    had all drums off today, all fine, bled master cylinder, reassembled and bled all the brakes , still the same , starting to wonder if these brakes ever worked. clearly something not right with it all , grrrrr

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, that was my initial though hence why asking has it been fine in your ownership before. You'd be amazed what people will frive because it's a 'hot rod'. Had various phone conversations with amte who was attempting to find the 'recent' fault in a Pop set up. Eventually it was discovered it only had a 2:1 pedal ratio and had been like that for over 20 years!.

I'd recommend now clamping off all 3 (4?) flexible hoses . If all the air is out of the system you should have arock solid pedal, if it isn't then you still have air in it.

Thne remove rear clamp ONLY, and chcek pedal feel . The reclamp rear and take off both front and try pedal feel .

Next take clamp off rear again and only one front brake , if you then take off the other front clamp and have no brakes again then the m/c is undersize.

A mate had a very undersized m/c on his car and had been like that for 40 years. They'd got round it but adjusting the pushrod so it didn't return fully and brakes were only partially on . Which was 'fine' until the pads wore down and more fluid was required leading to brake failure ...several times over the years . Me and another mate offered to fix it but because he didn't understand our method ( double master cylinders with a balance bar ) he kept on using as was. It would pass MOT with flying colours every year but was 1cc away from failure at any time.

dek
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i asked the previous owner and he said brakes have been fine, im skeptical, it was like this when it got delivered , front hoses are braided can i still clamp them

Official RnS Addict ChopperHarris's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    wedge the pedal to the floor overnight, it can let trapped air vent into the MC, works one time in a hundred......but
    Re clamping, not ideal but if i was in your situation, a bit of rag and **** it

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dek View Post
    i asked the previous owner and he said brakes have been fine, im skeptical, it was like this when it got delivered , front hoses are braided can i still clamp them
    Balls If rear is normall rubber then at least try that one to get some indication.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dek View Post
    I think you are right to be sceptical , had he owned it long ?

If someone had a problem with somethinG I'd sold like that I'd be helping them correct it IF it had been fine in my ownership. Then again I wouldn't knowingly sell a car with a major problem , or if I did I'd advise the new owner.
    Last edited by kapri; 10-08-2019 at 16:16.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information