Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thought I'd just clarify a few bits and bobs due to PMs and questions asked of me.

The engine wasn't put together to be the best on economy in the world nor to be the fastest ( wouldn't have chosen a Pinto if I'd have wanted that !) , just to be a torquey robust usable motor on an AUTO. What I've been trying to achieve is the best MPG from THIS engine combo in this vehicle and working within certain limitations. The engine is meant to make around 140 bhp against a stock figure of 115. 140 is only a little bit shy of a 3 litre v6 output that'll give you 25 on a good day.

Pinto is vastly lighter than than the V6 but the big killer is the amount of torque from the V6 . The back axle is a 4:1 to get the overall gearing required and is the weaker of the 2 Cortina axles. The A is producing enough torque to make the axle tramp and with the latest timing set up it's more torquey than ever.

The timing figures for the FR30 and the FR34 have been shown earlier and the difference in duration of 3' produces 4bhp more. This is down to the higher revs achievable on the FR34 injection specific( quoted at 20bhp gain )with a power band from 1000-6250 as opposed to the high torque/towing /automatic recommended FR30 producing 'just' 16bhp additional with a 1000-6000 power band.

0-60 is pretty much the same as my old POS which weighed around 15cwt with about 120bhp ( with 33mpg being cautious and 27 having fun) so I guess I'm pretty happy ... I still may play with the visor to improve aerodynamics ...and I do have an opening screen in the corner of the garage as well... LOL
    Last edited by kapri; 31-07-2014 at 08:42.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    nnnnnnnnna you gotta keep that one arfter all that work n sell the other one this way
    enjoyed reading the thread sounds like you have it sorted

a model a's more you

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kev, you really need to pop down here to see me I DO love it , it's got a great stance and is just so usable.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the offer kev

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Final update, swapped in a new ECU unit today and it works exactly the same as the secondhand unit I tried to replace the one in there The repair place where I sent my old one were unable to find a fault no matter what they did . However substitution had already proved it to be faulty but that's the way my life goes

Anyway trials today have confirmed why the low vacuum in o/d, the aerodynamics are simply too much for the tall gearing ( 25mph/1000rpm ) to cope with. Drop it into straight top and I see 15" at a steady 3000 , exactly the same as POS and previous Pop. That was the reason I changed the axle out when I was using the 3 speed as the standard Cortina 2 litre axle ( 3.54 I think ? ) was also giving 25/1000 in top and swapping to the 4.1 estate axle brought it down to 20mph/1000.

Well you live and learn ( still!).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information