Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    With help from Captain Scarlett on this thread https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/topic/pinto-efi-220569 it's proved that ignition timing WAS\ IS spot on at factory 12'BTDC.

As I'm working my way 'out' from the engine checking as I go the only thought that springs to mind is that I've disconnected the PCV set up.On the early engine there is a T pipe AFTER the AFM that connects to the oil filler cap and already metered air ( having passed through the AFM ) is drawn through the block up through the crankcase and then via the pressure shuttle valve into the bottom of the inlet manifold.

I had to do this as on the LPG set up I'm running it would have meant LPG being drawn through the engine instead of air!!

The T pipe is now blocked off at the AFM so I can't see this causing a problem as the metered air quantity ending up in the engine is still the same albeit slightly less contaminated. Anything I'm missing re this ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just been thinking what you said above Kev,and I can't think of a problem,other than would it need a mixture adjustment due to blanking of the pcv ? I wouldn't have thought that would cause the extreme condition you have though.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've not been idle but back on the A now. With the help of the Autodata book Col lent me I've been checking all resistances and so far everything still tallys up.

Anyway, had one of those moments while thinking where there could still be an air leak still and remembered the ISCV ( Idle speed Control Valve ) is basically a computer controlled air leak . It lets air from in front of the throttle plates bypass into the plenum without the throttle needing to be open. I know the ISCV valve itself is fine as it's the 3rd NEW one on there now but I looked at the wiring to it. As best I can work out there should be a 12 volt feed from one wire that is earthed via the ECU to pulse the motor backwards and forwards to control the air amount.

Current tests seem to show that BOTH leads are live ?? I believe there is an inline diode in the system in the ISCV system that I need to track down as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    You think you've found it and it disappears Went back out to check now only one lead is showing 12 volts.? Maybe I had it running the last time though it still shouldn't show live on both leads when running., I'll warm it up later and try again. Also found in the inline diode that's in the supply back to the ecu and splits back to both the ecu and a one way current back TO an inline power supply that also feeds the injectors. Checked wiggled twisted and poked it , definitely only working one way . Diodes normally work or they don't though ? Can't think of ever seeing one fail under heat

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought - has the fuel tank a working breather? Just trying to think of something that might not have come with the original working Sierra motor assembly.
    Greatest discombobulations to all my readers.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It does but thanks for the input Injection side is fine , but economy is crap on both fuels. Bunging random thoughts around has made me think of making a blanking plug for the first port on the ISCV to see if that improves the vacuum.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Many thanks to Captain Scarlett who took some vacuum readings for me to compare . His comes up at 14 cold and 17 when fully warm , rising to 19" with no load at up to 3000rpm. Mine is only slightly behind which is what I'd expect of my cam from previous experience. So looking like the low vaccuum reading is normal though I will blank the ISCV ports when hot to confirm that is the reason/ cause.

Cheers again for the help Captain

Official RnS Addict farncombe pop's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kev, you say you checked for brake drag but have you check all the drive chain ?.... tight diff / prop joints ? even box ?
    Here to help !

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie Grumpy Grandad's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kev, sounds like your having a bit of a headache with this after having had a read through. I have some technical info on the early EEC iv systems that could help find the cause of your problems, but there were a few variations and I need to be sure what you have. Could you tell me how many electrical pins you have on the ECU and supply a picture of the throttle position switch and Idle Speed Control valve please. Also did the Sierra have Air Con , if it got left behind ,what happened to the wiring this input affects ignition timing at certain rev range amongst other things. Lots of variations with this system, just need to be sure which one you have.
    Steve
    Steve

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    No ideas on pins but it's a July 88 Sierra Sapphire Ghia motor, early EEC iv, no KAM set up and open loop . No air con but did have power steering .

ISCV looks like

TPS looks like

Last edited by kapri; 12-06-2014 at 10:03.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information