worst skimmed camel hump heads ever seen... unskimable?
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie TheWebDesignCompany's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

worst skimmed camel hump heads ever seen... unskimable?

Ive been having some overheating issues, and finally the head gasket blew. So I've had a mechanic strip it down and remove the heads so they can be skimmed and refitted. But he said they are the worst skimmed heads he has ever seen, you can clearly see and feel little lines on the heads and this was causing the overheating and water ingress.

Anyone ever experienced this? is it possible to have unskimable heads? Has anyone ever had heads that couldn't be skimmed?

Im hoping mine are not unrepairable as I'm stone broke and can't afford new heads. (Even though I dream of a nice set of Aluminium AFR 180 heads, but then I would need a new manifold and new rocker covers etc...)

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    all heads are skimmable its just a case of having the correct machine and know how, I think your mechanic means the finish after machining is too course or the tool used was blunt , or in laymans terms the finish is s--t, have a word with a local machine shop and they'll sort them for you.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well that is encouraging, thanks.
    Is it not possible to not have enough meat left on the heads for them to be skimmed again?

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWebDesignCompany View Post
    Well that is encouraging, thanks.
    Is it not possible to not have enough meat left on the heads for them to be skimmed again?
    it is possible not to have a lot meat left on them but they would need to have had a an awful lot of material removed previously. im sure they would probably be ok to have them cleaned up.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it is possible to have heads that are un skimmable,really depends how many times they have been skimmed,what is the thickness between water jackets and or oilways,plus check on valve stand down.

Dave

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im taking them to be checked on Monday and skimmed if they can be done.

In the mean time if anyone has a set of heads they want to sell... Let me know

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would imagine doing a final cut skim as it were will remove very little unless they have other issues.
    A good miller will check em easy enough :-)
    "I'm not going to take this defeatist attitude and listen to all this crap any more from all these people who have nothing except doomsday to predict."
    Carroll Shelby

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    if they have been skimmed too much you may have problems with inlet manifold mating properly, if you skim the heads you should also skim the manifold mating surface look at this website for more info (end of page is a chart) a minor skim to remove imperfections should be possible. in the past I have used a sheet of glass and grinding paste to clean up minor imperfections.
    milling heads and intakes | Grumpys Performance Garage

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    A mate had a Datto 1600 SSS head that I saw, It had been milled so often that only half the DATSUN logo cast on the side of the head was missing!! True story.
    They released a shim kit to suit those L series engines as the used to curl the heads a bit.

Re the finish on the cast heads, I would think that they must have been REALLY bad as the gasket likes some marks the bed into. You can also use Hylomar gasket spray to enhance gasket sealing.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    How close is the head surface to the inlet valve seat? This should give you a very good idea of whether there's potential for another skim. because of the angle of the valves, every time the head is conventionally skimmed, the machined surface of the head moves a lot nearer to the valve seats on the shallow side of the combustion chamber. By conventionally skimmed, I mean that the head will be set up on the mill with the machined head surface nominally parallel to the milling machine bed, so that that the same amount of metal comes off both sides of the head.

Even if from the above, it looks like your heads have had a heavy skim, it may still be possible to wedge skim them, where the heads are set up tilted on the milling machine bed, such that more metal comes off the deep side of the combustion chamber than the shallow side. That's what's going on in this photo of 'an SBC head I prepared earlier' You can see here that the head face is close to the inlet valve seats -this late head was seriously warped.

I've done this on several pairs of SBC/SBF heads now with .025" of "wedge" with a total cut of .030" and there's never been the fitting problem with the inlet valley that TrevD refers to, although if your heads have had heavy skim already, you may need to get the inlet manifold faces machined too because AFAIK, the heads I've done were as machined by the factory when I got to work.
    Stuart.
    My website: Isn't working at the moment
    My Intro

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information