Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie TheWebDesignCompany's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trevd View Post
    if they have been skimmed too much you may have problems with inlet manifold mating properly, if you skim the heads you should also skim the manifold mating surface look at this website for more info (end of page is a chart) a minor skim to remove imperfections should be possible. in the past I have used a sheet of glass and grinding paste to clean up minor imperfections.
    milling heads and intakes | Grumpys Performance Garage
    interesting stuff, but way beyond me...

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HALLnRODZ View Post
    A mate had a Datto 1600 SSS head that I saw, It had been milled so often that only half the DATSUN logo cast on the side of the head was missing!! True story.
    They released a shim kit to suit those L series engines as the used to curl the heads a bit.

Re the finish on the cast heads, I would think that they must have been REALLY bad as the gasket likes some marks the bed into. You can also use Hylomar gasket spray to enhance gasket sealing.
    Thanks for the tip...

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stueeee View Post
    How close is the head surface to the inlet valve seat? This should give you a very good idea of whether there's potential for another skim. because of the angle of the valves, every time the head is conventionally skimmed, the machined surface of the head moves a lot nearer to the valve seats on the shallow side of the combustion chamber. By conventionally skimmed, I mean that the head will be set up on the mill with the machined head surface nominally parallel to the milling machine bed, so that that the same amount of metal comes off both sides of the head.

Even if from the above, it looks like your heads have had a heavy skim, it may still be possible to wedge skim them, where the heads are set up tilted on the milling machine bed, such that more metal comes off the deep side of the combustion chamber than the shallow side. That's what's going on in this photo of 'an SBC head I prepared earlier' You can see here that the head face is close to the inlet valve seats -this late head was seriously warped.

I've done this on several pairs of SBC/SBF heads now with .025" of "wedge" with a total cut of .030" and there's never been the fitting problem with the inlet valley that TrevD refers to, although if your heads have had heavy skim already, you may need to get the inlet manifold faces machined too because AFAIK, the heads I've done were as machined by the factory when I got to work.

I will try to take a couple of photos of the heads and post them up if I get a chance.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mechanic thinks the badly skimmed heads that were causing waster to ingress and come out of the spark plug holes caused all my overheating problems.
    Ive been told that I could swap my camel hump heads out and put AFR 180 aluminium heads in their place as a straight swap and continue using the same manifold and carb set up.
    (Thats if I can find some secondhand, anyone got any going?)

Is that right? I thought that aluminium heads would need a different manifold? (Same guy said it is only Vortecs that would need a different manifold...)

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    You cannot just keep re-facing heads, you have to have a starting point and it is no good if the heads are out of "parameter".
    Overskim is bad for valve train geometry, and crack prone, pics would be better.
    I've just had a block decked on a 326 Pontiac for the same reason, a real bad factory finish.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    you can fit any of the SBC heads to your block, they don't need to be any particular ones, the camel hump heads you have should be 64cc heads but all it means if you go to different heads is you might end up with lower compression. the vortec heads are slightly different and yes they would need a different inlet manifold, the centre bolts for the inlet are different on the vortec heads, the bolts go in vertically as opposed to a normal inlet. if your heads are skimmed slightly too much you can get thicker head gaskets and inlet gaskets which can help line them back up again.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by TheWebDesignCompany; 02-07-2017 at 15:27.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Camel hump heads are small chamber as said, so using the later open chamber style head will drop the compression ratio quite a lot.

One other thing that might be an issue is that all the Camel hump heads I've seen have straight plugs i.e. they stick straight out the side of the head at 90 degrees. Some of the later heads (and a fair few of the aftermarket heads) have the plugs sticking out at an angle, this can cause problems with some exhaust manifolds in that the plug points straight at the runner.
    Stuart.
    My website: Isn't working at the moment
    My Intro

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by stueeee; 02-07-2017 at 15:29. Reason: double post
    Stuart.
    My website: Isn't working at the moment
    My Intro

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Given that you skim heads quite a bit by the look of things, what do you think of the images? (obviously I won't hold you to anything...)
    Do you have any heads that were never picked up that you have already working on?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information