Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    righto.... still having problems! i bought yet another carb and rebuilt and fitted that tonight... now she runs the best ever!!! like smooth as hell no cough no splutter no matter how hard you try to make it splutter! smooth as smooth!

but its just the starting issue... if i leave her overnight and come to start in the morning she starts fine... but then if i drive, turn her off and come to start her after like half hour... she turns over quite alot before she'll start, then when she starts a fair bit of smoke comes out... now to me it dosnt smell like oil in the slightest, and the car loses hardly any oil (i think what it does lose is through leaks haha) she burns no water whatso ever i havnt had to top the water up since iv owned the car....... but what im thinking is could this be a headgasket problem? early stages of failure possibly? the headgasket looks to have a slight weep on the right hand side of the engine, but this has been like this for a while.

any input would be welcome
    Cheers, Scott.
    "she may be rusted iron, but to me she's solid gold"

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Semi Proffessional Prat sidspop's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Forget head gaskets for the time being. You are wooryong too much.
    The Thames has similar problems, albeit in a 4 pot engine. The engine is much more enclosed, and as such the heat from the absolutely poxy designed exhaust manifold causes fuel evaporation. The Thames solution is a piece of asbestos sheet between the exhuast and carb.
    Not sure of your fabrication skills, but there is an easy solution. Fit an electric fuel pump. This will ensure you always have a good supply to the carb. I will wager £2.50 that is your problem
    Its either you lay down and die or you get on with your shit till you do!!!!! No Other Way Around It. One or the other. Don't worry about being forgotten, you will. Rather worry about in how long it will take for you to be forgotten, bro.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    haha.. do you reckon?? its just the smoke that worries me. iv done a few head gaskets in my short time, so doing that isnt too much of a worry its just more of a worry pulling her all and putting it back together and it being a massive waste of time as i still have the same issue.. hence why im trying all these simpler things first... i'll see what i can do about codging a temporary heat sheild together see if that works.. i have just obtained an electric fuel pump off a volvo 940 2.3 that i just scrapped... so might see about trying that out maybe... just it is a tad on the large side.. and im not a fan of electrical modifications, but as this is my daily i should really focus on making her reliable rather than period correct haha

thanks for trying to sway me away from thinking the worst

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    If Volvo was injection, forget it!. Modern engines have fuel pumps that run at silly pressures, and you only need about 4 psi for a carb. What you need is a simple pump, off Morris Minor or similar. Just enough to fill flaot bowls in carb.
    Regarding heat sheild, try a local builders merchant for a piece of fire proofing sheet. Used to be called asbestolux, but now the use a similar stuff containing no asbestos. Will cut with jigsaw. A couple of brackets off cylinder head, under the board.
    A mate had similar problems with a 100e. The above cured his problems.

Are you still running with vacuum wipers, and a feed off vacuum pump on side of block, below distributor?
    Its either you lay down and die or you get on with your shit till you do!!!!! No Other Way Around It. One or the other. Don't worry about being forgotten, you will. Rather worry about in how long it will take for you to be forgotten, bro.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    ahh yeah never thought of that.. it was turbo too! haha makes a good pump for emptying fuel tanks though which is why i removed it to empty the volvo tank before scrap.
    ill look out for a more suitable pump and i'll look into a heat sheild tomorow.

yeah im still running vacuum wipers.. ya know i dont know where it draws the vacuum??!!! iv disconnected my brake servo as that was causing idle issues and i havnt had time to rebuild it... the vacuum for that came from the inlet mani and theres also a vacuum pipe that comes off the manifold and goes to the fuel pump? i never had had a idea what that does??

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a similar starting problem with my mk3, on the Mk3 there is a bit of plastic flexible pipe next to the tank (I can't remember if mk2 is the same) mine was brittle and cracked and let air in and caused all sorts of problems. As I said not sure if Mk2 is the same but it's an easy thing to check.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I reckon iv just gotta except that the engine needs a rebuild... im in the look out for another motor to rebuild and swap over, if anyone know of one. I dont think mines gonna let out anytime soon and it drives fine.. just its starting to be abit smelly... it breaths like hell!!! And has this starting issue its only done 70 something thousand so there's a good chance its never been done haha.

Im not sure about the fuel line.. I'll go have a look.
    Cheers

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    HAve you done compression check?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah j done one a few months back and it was low... but It was pretty equal throughout the cylinders!

Dude you serious that engine is literally only 15 mins up the road from me haha.... iv already bought a engine off a mate but it needs loads of work... hes said I can have it reaal cheap so I may still get it for spares... but yhat one at lowestoft perhaps thats just ment to be haha... thanks alot man.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information