Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Sherpa - how do I get my column apart ?

Hi all

I am trying to get the inner column out of the outer column ?

For some reason Haynes though it would be a hoot to print the column drawing upside down in the manual ? so the bottom of the column is at the top of the drawing !

I have removed parts 9 , 10 , 11 & 6 I have removed the steering lock [ although it should not matter , and did not lock it anyway ]

I have removed 4 & 5 according to the manual 8 the lower bearing is removed after the column is dropped out.

The inner does not move down very far before it hit's some sort of springy part that absorbs mallet blows and seems not to shift.

The inner cannot move upwards as part of the shaft appears to be to wide to pass through the lower bearing ?

I want the inner column in one piece so could sacrifice the outer if I have to ?

regards Paul

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well the answer was simple enough ....

Cut the outer away near the bottom bearing ?

Well the top of the column is on the left and the thick black bit is the lower bearing [ a ball race jobbie ] and what can we see on the inner column ?

A bl**dy cir-clip and another spring , totally absent from any of the drawings I have in the 3 workshop manuals on my shelves !

It would seem the only non-destructive way of getting the inner column out of the outer column is to remove the lower bearing ? no idea how you are supposed to do that with the inner still in place .....madness but then it is BL

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well done paul , you can't trust em !
    New Project: Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information