Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you have ever been in a head collision in ANY car you will realise that the kinetic forces created (if thats the word) are beyond the comprehension of anyone who hasn't experienced this type of impact. As was previously mentioned internal injuries rather like the high speed injuries from aircraft accidents mean that the car stops abruptly, your belted body stops a little less abruptly but your internal body organs only have things like your rib cage to stop them bursting out of your chest cavity - hence ruptured organs but with a perfectly healthy and undamaged outer body. That is why crumple zones are SO important as to whether you are going to live or die. The old ******** on the lines of "I've got a feckin' big SUV or truck with seriously big bumpers, nerf bars and chassis rails - I'll just cut through anything I hit and go right over the top of it, I'll just walk away from it all" - yeah, right - try hitting something head-on you don't just kill the occupants of the other vehicle - you die too mofos!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its all about attention , If your driving along and see an ahole heading straight for you ,It's knowing what to do to avoid as much as possible the impact, Some accidents are unavoidable but if your doing 30 and driving fully concentrating on what is going on ahead and around you, simple correction and avoiding action could of prevented that accident.
    Last edited by batterseaboys; 19-09-2009 at 11:55.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscobbc View Post
    ...That is why crumple zones are SO important as to whether you are going to live or die. The old ******** on the lines of "I've got a feckin' big SUV or truck with seriously big bumpers, nerf bars and chassis rails - I'll just cut through anything I hit and go right over the top of it, I'll just walk away from it all" - yeah, right - try hitting something head-on you don't just kill the occupants of the other vehicle - you die too mofos!
    Well that would depend upon what you were in collision with. In the stronger/heavier vehicle, the weaker car (to some extent) becomes your crumple zone.
    An HGV plowing into the back of a line of stationary cars would crumple up lots of them before stopping and in all likelyhood the truck driver would be largely unhurt.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm living proof of Large Car Advantage, many years ago I had a1/4 frontal collision with a Cortina sized Fiat [128?]at the time I was driving a trusty Mk1 Granada 3 litre, my Granada managed to spin the Fiat at the same time as totally removing its drivers side suspension bending its body like a banana and pushing its steering gear and dash well back, to my amazement my car only suffered bent wing and bonnet rad support panel and lights!
    It gets better, my car was still drivable and I was able to quickly give the dazed Fiat driver some insurance details and make good my escape before any cops could arrive on the scene....the Fiat was an immovable object belching steam and fluids...not something I ever want to repeat but if I had been driving a Mini or a Corsa I'm sure this would have had a far sadder ending.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    That Malibu looks **** with wide whites just on the front.

[url=http://www.nobrain.d NoJive 55's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadad View Post
    That Malibu looks **** with wide whites just on the front.

Bob...

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for a 50s car, Cadillac, Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Chevy, cash waiting. Message me or call 07836 349356

Dragging not Bragging vince-305's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by firebird68 View Post
    I'm living proof of Large Car Advantage, many years ago I had a1/4 frontal collision with a Cortina sized Fiat [128?]at the time I was driving a trusty Mk1 Granada 3 litre, my Granada managed to spin the Fiat at the same time as totally removing its drivers side suspension bending its body like a banana and pushing its steering gear and dash well back, to my amazement my car only suffered bent wing and bonnet rad support panel and lights!
    It gets better, my car was still drivable and I was able to quickly give the dazed Fiat driver some insurance details and make good my escape before any cops could arrive on the scene....the Fiat was an immovable object belching steam and fluids...not something I ever want to repeat but if I had been driving a Mini or a Corsa I'm sure this would have had a far sadder ending.
    Now i had just walked infront of my j plate granada and onto my path about 3 ft from the car when a squeal of tyres and the smash of metal n glass happened behind me

I didnt even bother looking just continued down the path to the mrs standing there asking if i was ok

A 1.2 vauxhall corsa driver (woman) had just had an argument with her bloke and drove off with the hump turned into my road (90% corner) and hit my granada (parked on the pavement) so hard it snapped both engingine mounts gearbox mount ripped the o/s inner wing from the chassis pushed the leg past the pedals and moved the car backwards 15ft into my neighbours 7 seater and pushed that 10ft into their neighbours merc 508? lwb van and pushed that into and bent a lamp post

After removing part of her bumper she was able to drive her car home it didnt even set off the airbags
    Bit'z 'N' Piece's
    Ford consul mk2 chevy powered highrider

Compulsive chicken choker English Impala's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still think corrosion had something to do with the mess of the 59, but having stripped & rebuilt a 60 Chevy (very similar in structure to the 59) I can say that for such a large car, there is precious little in the way of "strength" in the design. Someone said else where that these cars are of the "X frame" chassis construction (a bit like a Triumph ****fire) which is true.

However, the front end sheet metal consists of a pressed inner wing, which is bolted by one bolt at the fron to the chassis, about 8 bolts to the outer wing and a couple into the bulkhead. The outer wing bolts to this & the front panel with one bolt into the front of the sill. There is nothing else. No box sections, no triangulation etc, etc....

The door post (A pillar) is attached to the roof by a thin dog-legged screen pillar, the dog leg giving a natural weakness. At the bottom, it is attached to the sill structure. Again, no complex inner structure or triangulation. The inner sill is attached & tied into the floor with around three outriggers. None of these bolt to the chassis. The floor is largely flat & unsupported by the chassis or any other structure apart from the outriggers mentioned earlier.

While I certainly wouldn't fancy having one dropped on my head, I wouldn't fancy hitting something modern head on either!
    Last edited by English Impala; 28-09-2009 at 13:29. Reason: Carn't spelle

[url=http://www.nobrain.d NoJive 55's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Motorama, your link as gone.....

So here it is again but other shoots from the back Etc,

One of them would have lost hes head ,... your see

Bob....
    Last edited by NoJive 55; 02-10-2009 at 10:54.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information