Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

'32 Ford truck steering

Hello. I am after a bit of advice please. We are fettling an old '32 truck rod that was imported from the USA. We have been putting lots of things right and have stumbled on a problem with the steering. From what I can see the steering box is not the original '32 Ford item but looks like it could be a F-1 pick-up item - it is mounted in the chassis rail in the standard way. The steering column was cobbled up out of two pieces - the bottom bit is in the steering box and has been cut off. Then something else has been badly welded to the shaft. This means that the steering column isn't straight so the wheel describes an ellipse when it is turned rather than a circle. The steering box is pretty worn so I am wondering if anyone could tell me where I might find a suitable replacement column/box - F-1 or anything else that will suit (you may know better than me). This is all a bit new to me hence the naive question. Thanks, JC

Last edited by Sidevalve Sid; 21-05-2020 at 13:50.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    You would be better off with a Land Rover box, I’ve got a mk 2 one in my 32 roadster, cheap to buy and rebuild,
    also look like an old Ford part.
    They fit in much the same place and they are perfect for LHD as they mount facing inward originally on a RHD LR.
    I had an F100 one in roadster before and its much nicer to drive with LR one.
    It’s quite a common swop in Model A / B’s

Cheers,
    Chris
    You only made one mistake, you trusted me.......

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodboy View Post
    You would be better off with a Land Rover box, I’ve got a mk 2 one in my 32 roadster, cheap to buy and rebuild,
    also look like an old Ford part.
    They fit in much the same place and they are perfect for LHD as they mount facing inward originally on a RHD LR.
    I had an F100 one in roadster before and its much nicer to drive with LR one.
    It’s quite a common swop in Model A / B’s

Cheers,
    Chris
    That's very useful thank you - Land Rovers are something we're familiar with.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can buy everything for the F! box literally, worm sector shaft bearings and they are easy to rebuild etc etc but it isn't cheap. lots of folk do use the Land Rover, just depends on how fastidious you are on correct parts ....

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by magneto View Post
    You can buy everything for the F! box literally, worm sector shaft bearings and they are easy to rebuild etc etc but it isn't cheap. lots of folk do use the Land Rover, just depends on how fastidious you are on correct parts ....
    Thank you, there's a fair smattering of non-original parts in this truck already so parts that look right are fine. One thing we have noticed though - having now offered up a Series Land Rover column, it seems a bit short - do people mount them higher up - on top of the chassis maybe - rather than inside the C-section? Thanks again.
    Last edited by Sidevalve Sid; 22-05-2020 at 08:43.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a butchered early Ford inner column (a bit like yours) cut LR one,
    cut Ford one so had correct length. Sleeved, pinned and welded, so it still takes an early Ford steering wheel
    and outer column tube
    You only made one mistake, you trusted me.......

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodboy View Post
    I had a butchered early Ford inner column (a bit like yours) cut LR one,
    cut Ford one so had correct length. Sleeved, pinned and welded, so it still takes an early Ford steering wheel
    and outer column tube
    Thank you again, that's really helpful. I think we should be able to do that type of thing to a higher standard than the column in my picture! I am not sure if my steering wheel is original '32 or not but I'll consider that splines issue.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    An original column would have a taper and keyway for the steering wheel, common from '32 to late '40s I think. From then on they used a fine spline. Your steering wheel looks a bit like it might be an F100 one, which would have the splined top? For reference, I think the F1 boxes have a large nut retaining the pitman arm, the F100 has a pinch-bolt through the end of the arm and a corresponding groove in the sector shaft.
    Screw EU

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JackGriffin View Post
    An original column would have a taper and keyway for the steering wheel, common from '32 to late '40s I think. From then on they used a fine spline. Your steering wheel looks a bit like it might be an F100 one, which would have the splined top? For reference, I think the F1 boxes have a large nut retaining the pitman arm, the F100 has a pinch-bolt through the end of the arm and a corresponding groove in the sector shaft.
    Fab, thank you. I am learning loads here. My truck has lots of the right parts (and plenty of wrong ones) but not necessarily in the right order.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information