Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

American Style Licence Plates

I think that I already know the answer to this one but just thought I would get some advice from those who know.

I really like the look of the American style plates, but I believe that they are not legal in the UK, even though the characters are the right height 80mm, is this correct, and if so, how come I see so many cars with them on. Do you only get a slap on the wrist, or can you get points for this.

Thanks

Gary
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Fast View Post
    I think that I already know the answer to this one but just thought I would get some advice from those who know.

I really like the look of the American style plates, but I believe that they are not legal in the UK, even though the characters are the right height 80mm, is this correct, and if so, how come I see so many cars with them on. Do you only get a slap on the wrist, or can you get points for this.

Thanks

Gary
    I'm sure Kapri will be along to confirm this, but my understanding is any number plates that don't conform to the (very) strict regs are a hanging offence. Or at least, two strikes and you're out - if you get caught more than once, you lose your vehicle registration completely, and have to re-apply (complete with SVA test or whatever). Not good....

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think that the rule is that if the plate suround will not house a british style plate you can use one that fits ie a us style regards Guy

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    anything other than what is classed as the correct legal UK number plate for your car (normal reflective yellow or white ones, or black and silver for pre 73 both with correct font) and you are running a risk of being pulled, it could just be a telling off and told to change them, but you can get a fine and points i beleive.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    from my experience mate the old bill tend to leave us alone with rods n yanks, personally i wouldnt worry about it and get em on there, at the most if they were illegal you just get a defect form and told to change em, maybe if you were a chav in a rice burner might be a different response

www.53catalina.co.uk 53catalina's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by King Fast View Post

Thanks

Gary
    What car are they going on Gary?
    My old '53 has silver letters on black, but the age is in my favour.
    i dont think you get points if stopped, just a fine and told to show up at the local station with correct plates on.

Kapri will reveal all soon I guess................

dez
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    if your recess/mount is only capable of taking a US/jap size 12x6 plate, thats all you have to run- a normal brit one is 12x8.5, so wont fit in most import recesses.
    but it must still have correct size lettering and spacing, (bike size, whatever that is, the smaller lettering), and be a clear, legible block letter font( doesnt have to be the standard type approved font unless its 2001 or later vehicle) i work with lot of jap drift cars, and most of them only have a smaller size rear plate, but it seems the police around here are well aware of this, as being close to the docks theres a lot of imports round here- even more run of the mill stuff like hilux surfs, delicas and mx5s run the smaller plates- not to mention a lot of high performance imports in this part of the country too.
    ford model A sedan
    ' 38 hudson budget hotrod pickup build

"Some are scared of being misfits- im scared of fitting in.'

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got tugged by the police many years back,
    traffic division were called in to do a thorough check on the car,
    didn't get busted for anything but the traffic cop mentioned he'd seen the american style (states plates) on similar style cars,
    if i wasn't in a rush to leave did i mind if he checked them out legal wise,
    but also mentioned he wasn't gonna bust me if they were illegal,
    as he thought they were clearly readable,
    he got out his rule n regs book and tape measure, mine were 7 digits / 80mm high,
    he thought they were ok but the spacing a bit tight due to 7 digits on a 12" plate,
    also being a pro-street car with a blower he wondered how quick it was,
    AND could i show him!
    he didn't need to ask twice
    thoroughly decent policeman

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to get 2 plates made up with the black back ground and silver letters, it's for a 54 ford f100. or does it have to be the normal white back ground and yellow??

Exceeded sell by date Plumpcars's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can run the black with silver.
    As has been said you can run a 12 x 6 plate on an imported vehicle if it has a recess at one end of the vehicle which will only allow that size of plate. Ironically you need to use motorcycle digits on these plates to be totally legal. The States Plates font is taller but narrower so not technically legal.
    I went to court over motorcycle digit plates on a Chevy 6 months after the law had changed to allow small plates...the traffic cop in question knew nothing of the change. I got case dismissed.
    I use States Plates but white digits on a black plate on the 34. Looks fine. If you don't add other writing to the plate they don't attract any attention at all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in